Author Topic: Is there a list of the diagnostic codes  (Read 6195 times)

Offline shepherdsoake

I have just downloaded and installed PC-Doctor Toolbox. I ran a full scan and got a fail against the Motherboard - PCI Express status test. The appears to be a diagnostic code of WPE01-JFJ in red against this failure. Is there a way of interpreting this code?

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Hello shepherdsoake,

The error code is simply a notification that the test returned a failure, but if you would like additional information you should be able to view the test log by clicking the "Open test log" button after the test has run. I would also like to add that depending on what is connected to the PCI Express bus, the problem could be with a port or possibly a connected device and additional testing might be recommended.

Either way, the failure is definitely something to keep an eye on, and if necessary take the system to a trusted computer repair shop to take a closer look.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about our software or test results.

Thanks,
Kris
Kris_PCD
Technical Support Representative
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline shepherdsoake

Hi Kris - Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay in getting back.

I have run a full test and still get a 'fail' for one of the five PCI Express tests. I have an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard with one PCI-E 16x slot, one PCI-E 8x slot and two PCI-E 1x slots. My graphics card is in the PCI-E 16x slot. There is nothing in the other PCI-E slots. The graphics card has passed all the tests. Can I assume that the Fail a) relates to the motherboard? and b) Does not relate to the PCI-E 16x slot? (the one with the graphics card).

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
It is difficult to say exactly what is failing on the PCI Express bus, but please be aware that there are other devices that can use the same bus internally. That being said, if you have run video tests without issue, I believe you can rule out the video card itself. It seems likely that the issue may be with the board itself, and you may want to begin the search for a replacement (the board was manufactured in 2006 after all).

I would like to caution you as well, just because the system is working fine for now doesn't mean it will continue to do so for much longer. I highly recommend backing up any important data, and keep an eye out for any problems. Our software can only tell you there is a hardware problem, and it is up to you to decide on your next course of action.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Kris
Kris_PCD
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline shepherdsoake

Hi Kris,
One last update on this saga.
I swapped out the motherboard for one of exactly the same make/model/revision level as my current board. PC Doctor Toolbox gave me exactly the same fail on the PCI-Express status. I removed all of the components from the PCI / PCI-e slots and replaced the graphics card with a new one in the PCI-e x16 slot. I ran a full test. The graphics card passed, the PCI Express failed.
I have reached the conclusion that PC Doctor Toolbox is just plain wrong! ... and that for some reason it is misinterpreting the PCI-e status on this specific make/model of board.

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
It is entirely possible that when the test is run the information that is provided to our software by this board is being misinterpreted, and I will attempt to recreate the issue in our labs to check for this possibility. If the board is providing bad information when the test is run, there may not be anything we can do to stop the error on this board (other than making our tests less effective overall).

However, you should be aware that replacing an 8 year old motherboard with another of the same age doesn't guarantee that the problem will be solved. If this is a legitimate failure, it is entirely possible that the same components have failed on this other board.

I will let you know once I have had a chance to try and recreate this issue, but ultimately it is up to you what you decide to do with the information presented by our software. Please let me know if you have any other questions or issues, and thank you for letting us know about the problem you are having.

Thanks,
Kris
Kris_PCD
PC-Doctor, Inc.