Author Topic: Does Service Center 7.5 support SSD and how are they tested?  (Read 4477 times)

Offline Victor_Lopez

I'm running SC7.5, and can run the test script on two systems that have 60 Gigs Spinning media drive, and 80 Gigs SSD.
Both tests return a "Passed" result, but I can't figure out which tests are used to determine that the SSD is healthy, for example, a spinning media's Linear Seek test is not applicable to an SSD, since it doesn't use "heads", so what is SC7.5 doing when I ask it to run a "Linear seek test" on this SSD? A more appropriate test would be a "Nibble Move test", yet, this is not available for SSDs, how can I make sure the drives are actually being tested properly?
Regards,

Victor Lopez

Offline fwilson

Victor_Lopez,

You are correct, we can't spin up/down the media or do a track to track seek but the SSD drive must still support these features or it would not be a plug and play replacement.  If it did not respond to a spin down command (even though it does nothing), things like sleep would not work.  As I said in your previous post. SSD drives are designed to be a direct replacement for spinning drives.  They need to present themselves to the system as identical or their value would be diminished.   

When you ask SC7 to do a track to track, linear seek or any other drive test on a SSD drive these commands translate into the appropriate SSD test in the drive firmware.  A linear seek test will test all the "memory" on these devices. The memory is organized into virtual tracks and sectors so it can be accessed that way.

-Fred
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:54:05 pm by fwilson »
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline Victor_Lopez

Thanks Fred, and sorry for the double posts, I thought I deleted this one before posting in the other thread.
Regards,

Victor Lopez

Offline fwilson

Victor,

No worries,  They were a little different so I thought this one deserved an answer also.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts