Author Topic: Issue with HP laptop  (Read 4287 times)

Offline jasazick

Are there any known issues with the HP 8440p and the USB key PC-Doctor diagnostics? I have a brand new HP 8440p that my company is thinking of purchasing. I wanted to make sure PC-Doctor will work with it, but it locks on the "authorizing" step after selecting a test. I've tried all the USB ports, tried multiple PC-Doctor USB keys, and tried enabling/disabling different BIOS options for things like USB - all without any luck.

Any thoughts?

Edit: it does seem to work, but when a test it started it hangs at "authorizing" for approx 30 minutes before starting the test.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 07:36:11 am by jasazick »

Offline fwilson

jasazick,

That is very odd, I have never seen this particular behavior.

I assume from your description you are running the windows tests.  Try setting the system to boot from USB key and run the DOS diagnostics on it, let me know what happens.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline jasazick

No, running the DOS based tests.

Here is what I've found. Both of the laptops I've tested (one HP, one Lenovo) use the core i5 chipset. Both fail almost all the hard drive tests, but if I take those hard drives and put them into a Core 2 duo laptop, they pass all tests.

I was reading that the latest version of DFT has issues with the new Intel ICH9 controller. I'm pretty sure both of the laptops I'm testing are using that controller. Could PC doctor have an issue and need an update to correct it?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 09:07:17 am by jasazick »

Offline fwilson

jasazick,

What is the "DFT" you are referencing?

What is the version of PC-Doctor you are using?

-Fred

Offline jasazick

jasazick,

What is the "DFT" you are referencing?

What is the version of PC-Doctor you are using?

-Fred

DFT is an industry standard HDD diagnostic test for Hitachi drives.
http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/#DFT

I'm using the USB key Service Center 7.5 (v 4.0.1789(

The models that are having issue are the HP 8440p and the IBM t410

Offline fwilson

jasazick,

I believe we have one of those Lenovo laptops here.  I will put it on the bench and check it out.
We don't have any systemic problems with the ICH9 or ICH9r chipsets, at least in desktops.  Laptops can be difficult to test as they do things differently than desktops at times.
When I have more info I will post it here.

-Fred