Author Topic: Problems Using Service Center  (Read 2463 times)

Offline mmkn2010

I purchased PC-Doctor Service Centre a couple of weeks ago and received it last week. Since receiving it I've been able to use the DOS Version, but the only computer I've been able to use the windows version on was my own. It works perfectly on my own computer, but for all other computers it goes past the "Please insert USB Prompt", and then when it tries to load the dialog it gets stuck on a window that has has Letters up the top that are in brackets ie (F) (?) (?) which I assume are menus that haven't yet got the full text, then to the right it has a scroll bar, and then if you use the scroll bar all you see is 7 text boxes - 3 on the left one in the middle and 3 on the right.

I've now tried it on 4 other computers other than my own and all of them do the same thing. Two of them were Acer, another a white box system, and am not sure what the other brand was. What could be wrong?

Offline mmkn2010

Don't worry about answering my question at least at this point because I think I found the answer. For those that might have the same problem I will tell you what my problem was. I could actually be one of two things (most likely the first)

1) I burnt a backup copy of all the CD's so I could use the backup copies instead of the originals to avoid the possibility of losing the original CD's by leaving them in a customers drive. It seems the backup copy I created may have been faulty. I had been using the backup copies in the four computers, and when testing on my own computer I used the originals. I couldn't recreate the exact problem on my computer but even the backup copies wouldn't work on my computer even though it had worked with the original, and now its working properly on one of the systems I couldn't get it to work on before using the original disk.

2) On my own computer Windows 7 popped up a window and said it had found a problem with the device and told me it needed fixing so I clicked on fix, and it was after that I couldn't get it working on other computers (I hadn't tried my computer again until this afternoon). I ended up using the USB Restore facility, but one test after doing that indicated that it hadn't solved the problem, so I don't think this is what fixed it unless there was a corrupted installation on my hard drive which caused the problems to continue after using the restore feature so I can't be 100% sure.

Offline fwilson

mmkn2010,

The distro CD is not copy protected in any way however when making backup or modified copies using a good CD authoring program and UIF format works best.

The USB locking device (MUD) is required to be present in the machine you are using it on and can not be removed during the session.  The MUD's ability to lock a build is not affected by the file system on it as it is hard coded and unchangeable by the user. The restore utility will only replace the file system and it's ability to boot to the DOS build.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts