Author Topic: "System Info" on PC Doctor doesn't jive with rest of computer  (Read 2481 times)

Offline smm

I believe I was badly infected with malware.  I reformatted my computer and reinstalled windows.  It appears the problem has not gone away.  In total I have reformatted 3x in as many days.

I've set my bios to default settings and removed and replaced the CMOS battery (after waiting 30 minutes).  I disconnected the HD and rebooted.

The Phoenix-Award Bios CMOS setup only changed slightly (time, date and missing hard-drive).  Although my v6.0 is nothing like those I see on the web... i.e., the screen is less detailed and has less options.

Anyway, to my point...  I ran the PC Doctor 5 Win PE tests.  Everything came out fine.  I clicked on the system info link on the top right of the screen and it showed the system info.  The odd part is that this info is different than everything else.  It shows the following:

• Drive letter C as the HP_Recovery with 8.83G usable HD space and FAT32 file system
  • Drive letter D as the HP-Pav with 270.61 G usable HD space (with 9.71 G already used???) and a NTFS file system
  • And another partition with the drive letter R called the MS-Ram drive with 1.98 MB and FAT file system

When I boot into windows, my system info is showing the above C and D drives as switched and no R drive whatsoever.

I have inquired about reflashing my Bios, but HP won't provide me with a download.  They said I have to go to an HP service center to have it reflashed.   A lot of my drivers and exe are not signed (even with the reinstall).  PC Doctor is one of them.  As is most of the HP stuff and some obvious windows things (i.e., c:\cmdcons\system32\smss.exe).  I also have new things running with elevated privileges and /or priority (i.e., explorer.exe and kbd.exe).  I have not connected to the web at all on this computer, because I still feel something nefarious is still lurking either within the Bios, the recovery partition or the back-up CD's that I made.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,
SMM

ps-When I do boot up, I only get the option for drive 2 (CD rom) or drive 3 (HD).  I don't know where drive 1 is...

Some system info:
HP-Pavilion a1648x
AMD Athlon 64x2 (w) 4200+ 2.2ghz processer
Bios - Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.10 12/13/06; SM Bios version 2.4

Offline fwilson

smm,

The ram drive is a temporary RAM drive PC-Doctor creates to run itself from.  It will go away after a reboot. Everything is fine.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the BIOS.  Have you looked on the HP site?  They usually post them there.  I did a quick check and found;
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3307446#N975  It's 5.51.28.50 released in 12/04/2007.

CAUTION:  Be careful updating the BIOS, read and follow all directions on the site.  It is possible to reduce your computer to a paperweight if done incorrectly.

Drive 1 is usually reserved for a floppy.

Be careful and good luck.

-Fred

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts