Author Topic: +12 Volt on PCI Post Card -did not light up  (Read 3697 times)

Offline jimmimcsandy

Im a newbie so.. cut me a lil slack..

Have had a pc thats been giving me some trouble, - powering on from the front hasn't worked for a year.. - if i flip the power switch on the back (where the power cord plugs in) - on/off 3, 4, 5, 10 times finally the system boots up..

Tried replacing the power supply - same problem,
..leaving the new power supply in.. with only Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor attached externally and HD attached internally - - (removing power from CD Roms, Floppy and detaching printer and network) - same problem

Bought Spyware Doctor (both the CD kit with USB, loopbacks, and PCI post card)

Since VID output - is NONE existant -except on that rare 10th, 12th or 20th flip of the switch -figured the pci post card would help

Took it out of the packaging - jumpers are set J1-2 and J3-4 as "shorted" for Intelligent Mode 1, REMOVED POWER CORD as per instructions from back of power supply (cause even I know some power supplies provide power to the mobo even while turned off) - installed the PCI Post Card into the pci slot - juiced the system from the front - fans spin up.. [00] displayed in post card.. but +12V LED doesnt light,

Reset is LIT-Green (on)
Clock is LIT - Green (on)
+12V black :( off
-12V  is AMBER - on
+5v is Red - ON
+3.3V is Red - ON

so i know power supply is not the cause of the problem,

shut it down.. - removed power and data from HD Drive

Rebooted (with pci post card still installed) - SAME results as before NO +12V

What could it be?.. something on mobo -toast -time to replace?
..could it be the microprocessor itself?..

Could "defective ram" be pulling down the supply ? . (or not likely since i dont think they operate on the 12V side of supply)

Help..any suggestions - greatly appreciated.

Offline fwilson

Jimmimcsandy,

The 12V LED on the POST card may very well indicate a bad mother board.  If you have another PC available plug the POST card into it and ensure the 12V led is not defective.  It is unlikely but possible.

Not having the proper voltages on the PCI bus can cause the problems you are having.  The 00 POST code is an indication the system is not even going through the POST process, the numbers on the card should change rapidly.  00 indicates it is not even starting.

It is unlikely that it's the RAM. To make sure, pull it out and attempt to boot,  you should hear a beep code that indicates a RAM error but the POST codes on the card should increment.  It may very well be time to shop for a new motherboard.

Just one correction you have PC-Doctor Service Center, spyware doctor is a product made by another company. 

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline jimmimcsandy

:-[ oooooooops. YES of course i meant PC-Doctor  :'(  (i also use the other one :P )

...took out the ram - just to be sure :(

same [00] and noooooo +12V :(   

...and yessss i do have a second pc.. so i powered it down... - unplugged the power cord..popped the PCI Card in..just now :)  tadahhhh  :D all the lights came on.. and the Post Codes.. flipped thru a few cycles - stopping at.. FF :)

Offline fwilson

jimmimcsandy,

The good new is your POST card is working properly.  The bad news is your other motherboard is ready for the recycle bin, or target practice depending on your frustration level.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts