Author Topic: MUD not being recognized  (Read 3645 times)

Offline Cain929

I have ran across a few computers in the last couple of weeks that when I try to boot to the CD and run the diagnostics the USB device is not recognized and I cannot run the tests. Most of the time this would not be an issue because Windows will recognize the device and I can run the tests, however in these cases I cannot boot to Windows because of a hardware issue.

I think it has to do with the BIOS,these machines are older computers that do not support USB drives in BIOS so I am guessing that is where the issue is.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline fwilson

Cain929,

You are right on target.  Some BIOS’ do not initialize the USB subsystem completely; they leave that for Windows to do.  In these cases the MUD s not recognized and will not lock.

The best chance for success is to set the BIOS to be able to boot from USB key and boot from the MUD.  Service Center 6 for DOS is contained on the MUD and it is bootable.

There is a small percentage of machines that will not work no matter what you do.  If you run into this often you should contact sales and ask for a Service Center for Legacy systems.  This will lock to either the distribution media, if you have a CD-RW, or to a parallel port device.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline Earendil

For those running across this thread in a search for 'dongle not recognized' troubleshooting information, be aware that the Service Center for Legacy CD is no longer being sold. The new version of PC Service Center (v7) includes a parallel-port dongle that should address the problems in the USB MUD.

I may add, parenthetically, that I am very glad of this, as approximately 1 out of 4 computers I have run PC Service Center 6 on have had dongle-recognition problems. In fact, in spite of its usefulness, I had pretty well decided against buying any further versions of PC Service Center until this dongle problem had been addressed.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 09:45:41 am by Earendil »

Offline fwilson

Earendil,

Thanks, if you can't get it to run it doesn't do you much good.  We think we have most of the bases covered now but then again that's what we thought with SC6.

Copy protection is always a two edged sword however, if we did not do it we would be out of business very quickly.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

PCD_Christopher

All,
Service Center v6/7 are very old builds. Due to the age of these versions you will likely encounter a number of issues including tests no longer being supported or running correctly. Especially with Bootable and DOS. These versions are also no longer being supported and have not been supported for some time.

In addition to this, newer versions of Service Center have many newer tests or improved tests for newer hardware that you will not find. Including new tests for modern GPUs, CPUs, and memory.

It would be a good idea to think about upgrading to the newest version of Service Center.
https://www.pcdservicecenter.com/