Author Topic: DOS Hard Disk Tests only return two of seven results  (Read 8843 times)

Offline pbh70

I am running the seven (DOS) hard disk tests on a set of laptops. On some of the laptops I get a result for each of the tests, but on two of the laptops I only get results for the Linear Verify and Random Verify tests.

Can anyone tell me why am I only getting two results for these two laptops?         

Offline fwilson

pbh70,

If the tests are dotted out i.e. have .......... in the box next to the select chevron.  It means that they are not available or valid for that disk.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline pbh70

Fred,

Thanks for the quick reply. Actually, the other tests don't have .... next to them, the results for them simply don't show up at all, even though PCDR6 indicated the tests were run. The only two test results that show up are the Linear/Random Verify.

Interesting, in my opinion, is that both units are Dell Latitudes. The other three units list most of the other test results (aren't there 7?). This, for example:

Disk 1 Controller.......................PASSED 
Disk 1 Linear Verify....................
  Read verify error (Device-Timeout) occurred at sector 7143424.
Disk 1 Linear Verify                    FAILED  08/05/2008 16:04
Disk 1 Random Verify....................PASSED 
Disk 1 SMART Status Check...............PASSED 
Disk 1 SMART Self-Test Short............
  The read element failed.
  Elapsed time: 0:04:07
Disk 1 SMART Self-Test Short            FAILED  08/05/2008 16:09

That looks like 5 of the 7 results are reported. This is the first time I've used PCDR6, so I'm trying to determine how to read/report the results.
Peter

Offline fwilson

Peter,

in the example you sent all 7 results are reported, they are just wrapped to a new line.  The two that are confusing are,

Disk 1 Linear Verify....................
  Read verify error (Device-Timeout) occurred at sector 7143424.

And

Disk 1 SMART Self-Test Short............
  The read element failed.
  Elapsed time: 0:04:07

I am unsure as to why FAILED does not appear directly to the right of these tests, it usually does.  I will look into it, I agree it is inconsistent.  Yjanks for pointing this out.

-Fred

Offline pbh70

BTW. The result log file that only returned two results (after running the seven tests) looked like this:

Disk 1 Linear Verify....................PASSED 
Disk 1 Random Verify....................PASSED 

Nothing else was printed/output to the log file. I guess the other tests were not run because they are not available or valid for that disk, as you said in the original post.

Is that right?

Peter

Offline fwilson

pbh70,

Yes that would be correct.  It sounds like these machines may be set up in AHCI mode.  If that is the case then this is why the tests would be dotted out and not able to run.  When PC-Doctor 6 was released AHCI was still a moving target so is not supported.  PCDOCTOR 7 will fully support AHCI and the upgrade is quite reasonable.

In the interim you could go into the bios under the IDE controller and take it out of AHCI mode (take note of the settings before you change them) and place the system in legacy / SATA mode then run the tests.  This will give you access to all of the tests as well as the SMART information.

Take care to but the BIOS back to the original settings before trying to boot Windows, It won’t work unless you do and can give rise to some tense moments until you realize you have to restore the settings.

-Fred

Offline pbh70

Fred.

Now that makes perfect sense. I didn't think about AHCI. I could probably find this information somewhere else on the web site, but I'm lazy. Is there an ETA for PCDR7?

Thanks again.

Peter

Offline fwilson

pbh70,

You are most welcome, thank you for being a customer. 

The official company statement is PCDR7 will be released Q4 of this year.  Between you and me, and anyone else reading this forum, it should hit the shelves in late October.  This is subject to change, mileage may vary, etc. etc.   ;)

-Fred