Author Topic: Dell Dimmension randomly and/or constantly reboots itself Help!!  (Read 2844 times)

Offline mctaino

Yesterday I was working on a Dell Dimmension E510 Pentium 4.  It was very hard to even get Pc doctor to run on this machine as it was son unstable.  However I was able to run quick test, mother board test, Power supply test, and cpu test ant they all came back as passed.  I thought since it was a pentium 4 might of been heating issues so I re-conpund the cpu with a little bit of artic silver.  It worked better but it went back to the same thing.  At one point it ran the entire cpu test without restarting so I was puzzeld.  I did see a post 67 on the pci but havent been able to find what that code means.  I starting to suspect maybe "bad caps" on the motherboard any suggestions?

Thank you

Offline fwilson

mctaino,

I'm assuming that since you have put new compound on the heat sink that it is seated properly, the fins are free of dust and the fan is working properly.  If that is the case there are a few things I would try.

The most likely cause for a machine acting like you describe is a failing power supply.  Try picking up a 400 watt or so power supply, install it and the problem will most likely go away.

The second thing is bad RAM, especially if you have onboard video or a card with shared memory.  Try swapping the chips around and make sure they are properly seated.

The other thing I have run into that caused behavior like this was a failing video card.  I know it sounds weird and I would have made a funny face if someone had told me that before I experienced it myself.

Tracking this kind of error down can be a pain because everything works right up until the time it doesn’t and when it doesn’t it can’t tell you where it hurts.  Good luck and may the force be with you.  ;)
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline mctaino

Thank You so much for the advice.  The problem was resolved by replacing the mother board and power supply.  It seems like CAPS where faulty....  So again thanks for the advice

Offline fwilson

mctaino,

You are most welcome.  I am glad you got it fixed.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts