Author Topic: No formal IT Training  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Paul McDonald

Hello,

Due to monetary reasons I am the new IT guy at work.

I have no formal training but am comfortable installing operating systems, memory etc for family and friends.

Often if something goes haywire, they bring their computers to me expecting me to know what is wrong.

So, I am looking for a hardware diagnostic program that is easy to use (for hobbyists like myself).

I heard that one of your products will not only find any errors, but also say what needs to be done to rectify them.

Can you reccommend something?

Cheers,

Paul.

Offline fwilson

Paul,

PC-Doctor is a hardware diagnostics program.  It is used to diagnose hardware issues.  Software and misconfiguration issues, not so much.

It is useful in finding driver issues, for example if a component passes in dos tests but fails in windows it is most likely a bad driver.  It will also give you confidence that the hardware is sound and that fixing or reinstalling the OS is worthwhile.

The Windows products do offer suggestions as to what to do, they are basic suggestions however and not a replacement for experience, which it seems you are gaining rapidly.

-Fred

P.S.  Some of the best technicians I know had no formal IT training.  They had a knack for it and enjoyed doing it. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 07:56:07 am by fwilson »
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts