Author Topic: Overheating  (Read 3642 times)

Offline Gin

I am having a problem with my computer overheating.  I had it checked and it seems the 3 fans inside are running. I ran pc doctor and nothing is showing yet my cpu temp is usually at around 74c.  Can anyone tell me how I can solve this problem or things I can do to correct this?

TIA
Gin

Offline fwilson

Gin,

Get yourself a couple of cans of canned air, any computer or office supply store should have them.

Check your CPU heat sink.  It may have some of the fins clogged with dust.  I have seen systems where the fan packs dust between them so as to restrict airflow. 
Make sure the heat sink is seated on the CPU properly, that all 4 posts are firmly attached to the motherboard. I have seen systems where the heat sink has partially detached itself causing incomplete contact with the CPU.

Check the ventilation holes in the case, dust bunnies can accumulate and cause airflow problems.  Blow out everything well.

If none of the above works purchase some quality thermal compound from a computer store.  Carefully remove the heat sink / fan assembly from the motherboard.  Scrape the old compound from the heat sink and CPU with a utility razor blade and wipe clean with a tissue.  Reapply new compound to the CPU and reattach the heat sink.

If there is something mechanically wrong with the heat sink mounting you could purchase an aftermarket / high performance heat sink and follow the above steps.

Please let us know what you find.

-Fred   
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline Gin

Fred;

Thanks for replying

About a week ago the computer actually shut down when I was playing a game. I did start back up but shut down after only a few minutes... I let it set for about 15 minutes.. and it ran again for a few... I took it out and cleaned it..... OMG there were dust bunnies doing a dust bunny bop in there.  Since then it had not shut off at all but I used the Everest Home edition and its telling me my CPU is running hot. Its at like 74c and HP says it should be 68c... and 74c is doing nothing just turning it on. Excuse me for being stupid but what is a heat sink? I blew out everything in there and even used a small brush on the fan because like you said it was clogged and cleaned all the ventilation holes on it.  As fas as removing and reapplying thermal compound Im lost. Maybe my neighbor who works with electonics <not computers>  can help me with that.  How would I know if there is something wrong with the heat sink?

Thanks again
Gin

Offline fwilson

Gin,

The heat sink is a small aluminum block with fins and a fan that sits in the middle of your motherboard on top of the CPU.  Its job is to wick away heat from the CPU and the fan blows it away from the heat sink.

I have seen the thermal compound get cooked and become hard when systems have overheated due to dust bunny overpopulation.  This causes the heat sink to become inefficient and the CPU to run hot.  The thermal compounds job is to sit between the CPU and the heat sink facilitating the transfer of as much heat as possible from the CPU to the heat sink. 

Other than the fan on top of the heat sink dying there is nothing that can go wrong with them, heat sinks are just chunks of aluminum and/or copper. Seek out a friend or shop who knows their way around computers and have them remove, clean and replace the heat sink. That should fix you up.

-Fred 

P.S.  Attached is an image of what one type of heat sink would look like in a system and another showing the parts.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:20:09 am by fwilson »

Offline Gin

Fred

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner... the 4th of July is really busy around here.  I did get the problem fixed. When they checked everything the fan was working..... however my cpu fan has 4 screws in it and 2 of the screw had broken and it wasn't allowing the fan to sit properly and cool the cpu.  15 bucks later and a new fan and everything is working  A OK

Thanks again for your help
Gin

Offline fwilson

Gin,

Glad to hear everything worked out.

-Fred