Author Topic: Smart short shelf test timing out.  (Read 5334 times)

Offline Barb

I have an IBM T-42 computer.  When I run the Smart short shelf test, the completion rate goes to 99%, but never completes.  I get the message, "Hard drive testing has not completed in the estimated time.  This may be due to other processes running." If I click on continue running, the test will continue running but will never finish."  I then get the above message again.  If I decide not to continue the test, I get a code of "cancelled".  I only have 60 gig of hard drive and I'm only using part of it.  I have tried running the test with my virsus scan off, but it still never completed. 

When I used IBM's program to check for errors on my hard drive, no errors were found. 

Do I need to replace my hard drive?

Offline fwilson

Barb,

The SMART test is an internal hard drive test that is completely in the hard drives control.  PC-Doctor usually allows “sufficient” time for this test to complete.  If there are any programs that access the hard drive in any way during this test, it will never complete as when the drive is accessed the test starts over.

Make sure any programs that might access the hard drive are closed, it should pass then.  Typical programs that would cause this behavior are TSR type ones that would show up in your system tray.

If you are unable to get the SMART test to pass in windows try the DOS product.  TSR programs will not be a problem there.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts