Author Topic: Odd Memory Test Results  (Read 1439 times)

Offline samblade19

I have a laptop that has 8gb total of DDR3 RAM, 2 sticks of 4gb and the results show that RAM failed  "Advanced Memory Pattern Test". To make sure I decipher which of the two sticks and or slots, I tested both sticks individually in both RAM slots. For e.g. I ran the test for Stick 1 in Slot one then Slot 2 . Here's the rub, when I test them individually regardless of the slot they pass all the tests but when I test them together they fail "Advanced Memory Pattern Test". Can you provide any insight that might help me discern the issue?

Edit: The computer runs perfectly fine otherwise and there are no crash logs and honestly I did not expect any hardware failure when I ran the test. Both sticks are PNY with the same specs but are different models. Just in case that might help
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:45:01 am by samblade19 »

Offline PCD_James

Hello,

That is a strange test result but unfortunately not unheard of. What most likely is happening is an issue with a combination of your two sticks of RAM, your systems Memory Controller and how it handles multiple channel mode, and our testing software.

If the system is running fine, and you aren't having any other issues, its safe to say you can ignore the test results, and they probably will fix themselves in the future with a BIOS update from your OEM.

If you are having memory related issues, or after some time there hasn't been a BIOS update to repair your issue, the next step would  be to swap the memory with two new and matching sticks. Before you do this check the model number of the motherboard, and check for brands and speeds of memory that are known to work in multi-channel mode with your system. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:19:39 pm by PCD_James »