Author Topic: MUD tests & ZIP drive  (Read 4039 times)

Offline ACIOCALA

I have a machine with an internal ZIP drive.  If I leave the ZIP drive connected, the machine hangs at the floppy test (when run from the MUD) yet run fine with the ZIP disconnected.  Is this an indication that there may be something wrong with the ZIP drive or is this normal (the "DOS" level floppy test doesn't like ZIP drives)?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 07:01:09 am by ACIOCALA »

Offline fwilson

ACIOCALA,

A couple things come to mind.

The Zip drive must be mounted in BIOS.  If the BIOS does not full implement it or partially mounts it, this could cause the hang.

Try placing a zip disk in the drive when you boot.  If that doesn't do any good then see if there are any BIOS settings to more fully support it at that level.

Also make sure you have chosen the RAM drive for logging. If you choose floppy it may be trying to use the zip drive and getting confused.

Let me know how it goes.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline ACIOCALA

Sorry, already fixed the primary problem with the machine (unexpected reboots) & returned it to the customer... they needed it back ASAP.

I will, however, keep these things in mind for the next one.  We really don't get many with ZIP drives anymore.

Offline fwilson

Glad to hear it all worked out.
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts