Author Topic: Hard Drive Failed 2 Tests (Long HDD Test)  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Dead Bird 101

I was running service center 8 off of USB diagnostic tool. The I selected option 7, long HDD test

The failed tests are:
1. Funnel seek read test
2. Long S.M.A.R.T Self Test.

I'm not sure what these tests are or what they mean. Is there a way I can look up what each individual test is and what it means? Should I buy a new hard drive? Please, any answers would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 10:45:58 pm by Dead Bird 101 »

Offline PCD_Channing

Hi,

I have listed the test descriptions below to provide a better understanding on what each of the failed tests you listed is attempting to do.

Funnel Seek Test:
The Funnel Seek Test moves the drive heads continuously in a funnel fashion (for example, from the first track on the disc to the last, then to the second track, then to the second to last track, then to the third track, and so on). This test checks the integrity of the drive mechanism.

SMART Extended Self Test:
The SMART Extended Self-Test is built in to the device and identifies common faults that may indicate impending failure. Implementation details vary by model, usually a combination of SMART attribute checks, analysis of past errors, firmware verification, disk sector read and write verification, and servo tests. The extended test duration is significantly longer than the short self-test.

If you are experiencing failures, particularly with the SMART test it may be a good indication that a failure is imminent. I would definitely recommend backing up your data from the failing drive and looking into replacing it as soon as possible.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Offline Dead Bird 101

Thank you so much for your reply. I greatly appreciate your post. Is there an instruction manual on the service center 8 CD that I can look up the diagnostic tests and what they test for ?

Offline PCD_Channing

Yes, definitely.  :)

The User's Guide can be found within the sc\bin\Documentation directory on the CD itself directly or if you are launching Setup.exe from the CD or the Multipurpose USB device you can browse to it by selecting the 'More - advanced options' tab. This will take you to the User's Guide as well as the Advanced User's Guide.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions.