Author Topic: Network cards not recognised?  (Read 2548 times)

Offline michaeldc

Hi, I wonder if someone can help, when I boot PC Doctor from usb, it fails the following network adapters (always the 2nd adapter it tests if that makes a difference), however, if I run it in Windows, it passes them. I need to be able to pass then from usb boot as I can't install Windows every time - can anyone advise why this is happening and how I can resolve this?

Intel I217-LM
Intel 82573V

Many thanks
Michael

Offline PCD_Sam

• PC-Doctor
Hello Michael,

Unfortunately for our bootable diagnostic we only activate the network card mapped to eth0 in the linux environment. Therefore the second card is never in an "up" state causing it to fail all the tests requiring internet connections. From the interface there is no current method to activate the second card but there is a work around to bring up a shell prompt in which you can then activate the card from the command line. If you feel like this might be an option for you please let me know and I can explain the process.

Thanks!
-Sam
Like a great predatory piano, I sit silent in the darkness. Until it is time to attack and then I strike in a cacophony of violence and ivory keys.

Offline michaeldc

That could work for us though it is indeed a shame that this command line can't be executed automatically. Will it work if we have say, 4 LAN ports, can we activate all of them via this method?

Please advise, that would be great.

Regards
Michael

Offline PCD_Sam

• PC-Doctor
Hi Michael,

In order to access the network cards you have two options

1) Plug all the network cards into a switch so they are all active. (Have IP addresses)

-or-

2) Do it manually through the software interface in which you will need to update a few files on the Service Center 9.5 MUD. These files are

• N:\isolinux\live.cfg
  • N:\isolinux\live_486.cfg
  • N:\isolinux\live_686-pae.cfg
  • N:\isolinux\live_amd64.cfg
  • N:\boot\grub\grub.cfg
  • N:\boot\grub\32.cfg

In each of these files the command sc_shell_exec needs to be appended to the end of each linux line. For example

linux /pcdoctor/sc_lin/64.debian/vmlinuz boot=live live-media-path=/pcdoctor/sc_lin/64.debian union=aufs loglevel=0 pcdlaunch=3 config noeject ip=frommedia persistence quiet splash

Needs to become

linux /pcdoctor/sc_lin/64.debian/vmlinuz boot=live live-media-path=/pcdoctor/sc_lin/64.debian union=aufs loglevel=0 pcdlaunch=3 config noeject ip=frommedia persistence quiet splash sc_shell_exec

Once you have made this modifications save the files and boot your target pc with the USB key as normal. Once the Service Center Window is up, go ahead and exit the diagnostics. Now right click anywhere on the screen, find the terminal option and select xterm. Here enter the following commands for each additional card

/sbin/ifconfig eth1 up (to enable the card assigned to eth1)
/sbin/ifconfig eth2 up (to enable the card assigned to eth2)

Once you have brought all the cards up enter the command

exit

Right click again to bring up the menu. This time select Diagnostics then UI. This will restart the Service Center UI and you can know test each card.
Like a great predatory piano, I sit silent in the darkness. Until it is time to attack and then I strike in a cacophony of violence and ivory keys.

Offline michaeldc

Thanks Sam - option 1 is very much the preferred one considering how involved option 2 is! The good news is both ports on my device were recognised after altering my set up (as per your instructions).

I have a couple of other questions if you would be so kind:

1) ICMP Network Communications Test - come back 'cannot run' - can you advise what this test involved and why it doesn't fail but instead can't run at all?

2) Despite having the network port plugged into an active switch and being recognised I get a fail on 'Network Extended Loopback Test' - I had assumed it would work with my set up but do I actually need a dedicated loopback device?

3) Finally, there are two network ports with different chipsets on my device, both run almost identical with PC Doctor except for one thing: Network Online Self Test is 'misconfigured' on the second port despite passing in the first - can you advise why that might be?

Many thanks for your time and help,
Michael

Offline PCD_Sam

• PC-Doctor
Hi Michael,

I'm glad to hear that the solution worked for you! In regards to your follow up questions please see the answers below:

1) This test verifies the tested network card can successfully establish a connection to the Internet. This test stars by checking the system registry to determine the website defined as the home page for installed web browsers. Once determined the test sends a communication request to the home page. If the request produces a timeout, the test attempts to send communication requests to other pre-defined web pages. If all communication requests produce time outs then the test returns cannot run.

2) Unfortunately this test does nee the loop back device to work.

3) This could be due to how the two cards are configured as they both have IPs but the system is only using the eth0 connection as it's 'true' connection to the network.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks!

-Sam