Author Topic: Tutorial or Guide?  (Read 4854 times)

Offline Thomas K

So, can anyone tell me if there is a youtube video, or more extensive guide as to how to use the HARDWARE in the Service Center Premium 7.9??

I understand some of the basics.  The status lights etc.

however the 2 digital readouts leave me a tad confused.

3 digit panel, post code or is this the output for the status lights?
2 digit panel. ??  All I have gotten so far on this is 00.

Offline James_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Hello Thomas,

I am not aware of a YouTube video or a more extensive guide, other than our Userguild.pdf file included with the CD, that are available.

On page 7 & 8 of the userguide.pdf file included with Service Center 7.9, there is information about the card reader and its functionality. 

There is also information on where to go when attempting to look up the BIOS POST code list http://www.pcdservicecenter.com/support.php which will point you to http://www.pcdservicecenter.com/support.php

Regards,
James_PCD

"May the dog of simplicity lift its leg on the lamp post of progress"

Offline Thomas K

I assume your talking about the filename sc-userguide.pdf

I have gone through this a couple times, and it doesnt offer more then just a cursory mention, of some basics.

I understand the green/yellow LED's

I understand the 'button' for switching 'modes' for the voltage/watt output(?)  as well as RTC.

There seems to be a USB port upon it, there is no mention of this or how to use this in the sc-userguide.pdf file.  There is also mention about a switch, which doesnt exist.  This I take to be a completely different switch then the one used to swap between mhz, -12/+12/5V etc LED's.

example.

Current system I have the PCI POST board plugged into has it reading..

3 panel LCD = 33
Which I take to be clock speed in mHz as the top level LED seems to indicate.
2 panel LCD = 00
Which I am at this point assuming there are no errors from the system.

2nd row of LED's are all lite
3rd row of LED's are all blank.

Currently the issues I have so far with the package are the following.

Nowhere have I read, clearly, that ALL TERMINATORS must be connected (if a plug is available) to test properly, and not result in a lockup.

Nowhere have I read clearly, the usage of the USB port on the PCI card

Nowhere have I read clearly, that the 2nd LCD panel, is the BIOS ERROR readout.

Nowhere in the guide, so I clearly see mention of the '3rd' string of LED's and what they might indicate, if anything. (they are obviously there on a reset of the card)

The guide mentions 'operating modes' and yet I see no 'switch' on any board, that would allow for monitoring IO Port or active/passive modes.  Mentioning this is confusing, tho apparently it doesnt need to be worried about if no other cards are installed.

While Im thinking of it, why is it not possible to plug in another USB drive, to save log reports to that, for use in windows?  I have attempted this and the USB drive never shows up.

I appologise if I have missed something obvious, however I have survived for 15 years without using a POST card, and getting used to this is a whole new twist.

Thomas.

Offline James_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Hello Thomas,

I am currently looking at the card that is included with the post card, and it seems that the information you are looking for is called out in the Quick Start Guide, not in the User Guide as previously mentioned.  I do apologize for that, I thought that the information in the user guide would answer your questions and I was wrong.  Let me see if I can provide the information you need to address your previous comments:

Nowhere have I read, clearly, that ALL TERMINATORS must be connected (if a plug is available) to test properly, and not result in a lockup.
I to am not seeing anything that, clearly indicates that all terminators must be connected to test properly.  However, When I insert the card into the a system with or without the remote viewer connected I get the same results and I do not see a lock up.

Nowhere have I read clearly, the usage of the USB port on the PCI card
The USB port was added to the card for a possible update to allow POST card testing on laptops.  I am not sure if this information should be in there, but to your previous point, there is nothing clearly indicating if all terminators must be connected.

Nowhere have I read clearly, that the 2nd LCD panel, is the BIOS ERROR readout.
On page 7 of the quick guide, first paragraph, it states "The last POST code from the BIOS is shown on the 2-digit LED display if the BIOS fails to load the operating system."

Nowhere in the guide, so I clearly see mention of the '3rd' string of LED's and what they might indicate, if anything. (they are obviously there on a reset of the card)
Page 8 of the user guide covers what the 3rd string of LEDs cover.  "4. Use the button on the remote display or on the main card to select the detail reading that is shown on the 3-digit LED display. The top row of LEDs indicate the current reading. I have included the syntax below for your convenience:
The available detail selections are:
 MHz: Shows the system bus frequency in MHz.
 -12V: The -12V power rail reading.
 +12V: The +12V power rail reading.
 I/O: The voltage of the I/O bus which will be 5V or 3.3V depending on the system.
 Auxiliary: The auxiliary voltage reading (normally 3.3V).
 +3.3V: The +3.3V power rail reading.
 +5V: The +5V power rail reading.
The yellow LEDs do not switch off by themselves once illuminated. You can manually reset the yellow LEDs by pressing the button on the card or remote display and holding it until the letters rst appear on the 3-digit LED display."

The guide mentions 'operating modes' and yet I see no 'switch' on any board, that would allow for monitoring IO Port or active/passive modes.  Mentioning this is confusing, tho apparently it doesnt need to be worried about if no other cards are installed.
Page 8 of the user guild covers this.  This switches are on the card just below the Front of PC arrow indicator or just below the 2 LEDs.  I have included the syntax from the guide below:
You can also define mode options using the 2-selector switch. The mode options are:
 Switch 1 (marked “1”): Selects the I/O port being monitored for the POST code. The default setting is 80H and this works for most systems. If the POST code is not properly displayed while using the default setting, switch the setting to the alternate I/O address of 84H.
 Switch 2 (marked “2”): Places the card in Active or Passive mode. In Active mode, the card monitors write activity to I/O 80H and accepts them immediately. In Passive mode, the POST card will wait to accept write activity to 80H. Use the Passive switch setting if other POST cards are installed in the system.

While Im thinking of it, why is it not possible to plug in another USB drive, to save log reports to that, for use in windows?  I have attempted this and the USB drive never shows up.
I am not sure I follow.  What environment are you referring to when using the MUD (Multi-purpose USB Device)?  Are you booting into DOS using the MUD and it isn't seen?  I you are willing, please provide the steps to reproduce this behavior, so I can give it a try in our lab.

There is also information on where to go when attempting to look up the BIOS POST code list http://www.pcdservicecenter.com/support.php which will point you to http://www.pcdservicecenter.com/support.php.
Yes, I noticed that as well.  I am not sure why the links do not point straight to the intended site.  However the link in the user guide brings you the correct location http://www.pcdservicecenter.com/bios_post_codes
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:49:41 am by James_PCD »
James_PCD

Offline Thomas K

Seeing as I currently have the board in a box that is undergoing testing, I will respond first to this part, and revisit for the others, if needed, later.

On the point of the USB Port for future use.  Thank you, I agree that would be useful, however I half expected to see a 'Do not attempt to use the USB port on the PCI card, this is for future functionality'. 

Speaking to the point of logs to a USB Drive.  I keep my 'diagnostic reports' on a seperate USB flash drive.  AVG Rescue, BootMed, etc, etc, in its own folder for consulting at later dates, and for copy/paste etc in windows.  When I boot to the CD, or to the DOS PC Doctor utility on the USB Stick, I can see a A:, a B:, a C: and a RAMDISK option.  A is USSUALLY PC Doctor, and I never, ever so far have seen my 'logging' drive show up in DOS.

Tried a couple different USB Ports, front, back, and no luck. 

Regarding the 3rd string of lights.  I believed that was the 1st string of lights, I am speaking of the other strings.  One set remains all lit below the 'selectable' string, and then there is another string of lights, under that, which as yet, I have not seen lite up. (Currently looking at the extention and its at the bottom half of the LCD panels).

Found the 'operating mode' switch.  I didn't/hadn't looked to closely due to a couple factors.  It seemed like a non-configurable item, it being sealed.

The previously mentioned lockup, must be something with the system I am using to test the software, RTC keeps failing, and it locks up in the log area, with a constant pc-speaker 'beep' which repeats every .1 second, and goes solid/quickens after depressing a button or the powerdown button.

(keep in mind this is a old ECS 761GX-M754 motherboard).

The only other issue I seem to be having is the other system I have tested it on, nothing gives a clear cut answer as to the bios installed on it.

Thomas.

Offline James_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Thomas,

I have passed your suggestion regarding the updating of the guide to include a note about the UBS port, on to the Service Center team for review.  I can say for certain, but it would be a nice update for a future release.

Regarding your USB stick, as I am sure that you are already aware, USB support isn't something native to the DOS environment, which is why you are not seeing your thumb drive.  A work around could be to boot into DOS from the MUD and select C:PC-Doctor as the safe file location.  You test logs will be saved to the MUD by default and you can transfer the files on a second system.  This isn't ideal, I know, but unfortunately it is a limitation that even on the prototype systems, that we use in our lab, has not been addressed.

Let me look at the string of lights, so that I can get a better understanding of what you are seeing.  I will post any information that I come up with.
James_PCD

Offline James_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Thomas,

I see what you are looking at now and I agree the documentation does not clearly call out the function/behavior of the 2 rows of LED. Page 7 & 8 over the quick user guide contains the information (included below) about this LEDs.  Correct me if I am wrong, the top of LEDs that are always on are all green.  In the event that one of the systems is out of range of the other categories, the LED will be Yellow.  Think of the top row as the current status and the bottom row of a previous status, which will allow appear of the top row has changed.
I will also pass this info on to the SC team in hopes that the documentation can be updated to describe these LEDs more clearly.

Taken from the quick user guide:
The green and yellow LEDs (one for each bus voltage) indicate if voltage levels are within limits set by the PCI/miniPCI specification. The smaller three digit LED display shows the selected measurement value. The current selection is indicated by a small yellow LED. Pressing the button briefly will change the current selection.
 Green: Selected mode is currently within specifications.
PC-Doctor Service Center 7.9 Quick Start Guide
© 2005-2011 PC-Doctor, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Page 8 of 10
 Yellow: Selected mode was detected outside of specifications. This LED remains lit until reset by the user.
 Green and Yellow: Selected mode is currently within acceptable range but was detected out of range in the past.

James_PCD