Author Topic: special locking device  (Read 6381 times)

Offline jasonO

On a Dell Dimension 4300 I attempt to run PC-Doctor 6 in DOS mode.  The Dongle and Parallel adapter are plugged into working ports.  I know this because PC-Doctor 5 ran on the system just fine.

Error message is:
This version of PC-Doctor requires a special locking device, and that device was not detected.  Please insert the locking device and press any key to reboot the system.

Thanks for any help.

Zhiro

If your PC-Doctor 6 is Dongle locked, then it requires it's Dongle to unlock it.  It sounds like you are trying to use the PC-Doctor 5 Dongle with your PC-Doctor 6, which won't work.  PC-Doctor 6 should have its own dongle lock, which should also have a copy of PC-Doctor 6 for DOS on it, so you won't be required to have a separate disc.

Hope that helps.

Offline jasonO

I got another system in (Emachines T2682 Desktop) and ran into the same issue.  Dongle is from PC Doctor 6 and so is the cd.  tried booting off of the dongle but this emachines systems bios couldnt handle booting off usb devices.  I tried booting off just the cd or with the cd and dongle in the system together and it gave that error message both tries.

any other suggestions?

If your PC-Doctor 6 is Dongle locked, then it requires it's Dongle to unlock it.  It sounds like you are trying to use the PC-Doctor 5 Dongle with your PC-Doctor 6, which won't work.  PC-Doctor 6 should have its own dongle lock, which should also have a copy of PC-Doctor 6 for DOS on it, so you won't be required to have a separate disc.

Hope that helps.

Offline a shrubbery

The authentication device for PC-Doctor Service Center 6 is a USB key-type device called a "multipurpose USB device".  If you are trying to use the red parallel-port adapter (with the two black USB plugs) it will not work. 
The dongle used for Service Center 6 only has a USB plug on it.  These dongles are usually either blue or silver and have the three diagnostic LEDs on them.

If you are using the correct dongle for DOS you may have to adjust the BIOS settings to allow the device to be seen in DOS.  There are some machines where booting from the USB key will fail, but booting from the CD will succeed.  If you boot from CD, the Multipurpose USB Device must still be connected before booting the system so that it is detected in DOS. 
Also you might want to try connecting it to one of the rear USB ports.  Usually the front-ports are fine, but occasionally they may not work properly.
purveyor of nonsense since '08