Author Topic: Vista/Office XP  (Read 5119 times)

Offline makahoward

Office XP Outlook requires Outlook Express.  Vista's email is Windows Mail. 

Does anyone know how to tell Office XP to use Windows Mail instead of Outlook Express.  I don't want to buy the Vista version of Office.

ADDENDUM:  I reinstalled Office and now I can use Outlook without Outlook Express (?????)I didn't do anything different as far as I know.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 02:36:53 pm by makahoward »
Waiting for Microsoft to get their act together - will it ever happen?  .

Offline colinc

• Administrator
I am not sure if I fully understand your question, are you trying to run Office XP, without using Outlook XP? Outlook XP should not require Outlook Express.

You can set default applications in Vista through the Default Programs applet.

For example:
Start > Control Panel > Default Programs* > Set Default Programs > Set Program Access and Computer Defaults > Custom > Choose a default e-mail program > select the desired email client

* Note: you may need to switch to Classic View to see this option

Hope that helps...
To err is human... effective mayhem requires the root password.

Offline makahoward

I couldn't set my default e mail client to Gmail - probably because it isn't actually email "client"?  But (see my original blog) I reinstalled Office and now everything is fine (for some reason).  Thanks for your advice though.
Waiting for Microsoft to get their act together - will it ever happen?  .

Offline colinc

• Administrator
Glad to hear that reinstalling fixed the problem. I know there are a few gmail desktop clients out there, but I have yet to play with any of them. I do not know of a way or hack to get Windows to use a browser and URL as an email client, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.  ???

Gmail (via a web browser) can be easily set as a default email client in Linux.  ;)
To err is human... effective mayhem requires the root password.