Author Topic: How do I change the language?  (Read 8867 times)

Offline AlanHK

I just installed PC-Doctor 5 from the Lenovo/IBM site, on my ThinkPad X24, WinXP.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-52871

filename: pcd5setup_4329.exe

The interface is in Chinese, though I was never asked for a language setting, it probably assumed that from the Chinese language pack that is installed. Though my wife reads Chinese, I do not, and so this is not very helpful.

How do I change this?

I dug around in the registry entries related to PC-Doctor and found a setting "NSIS: language", but it is 1033, which a little research shows is "US English", so no joy there.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 12:44:54 am by AlanHK »

Zhiro

Hello AlanHK,

Welcome to our forums.

Our software language is based on the regional settings, however, the software you downloaded, may be localized to Chinese.

Check your regional settings, and make sure that it is set to English (United States).  If your software is not localized, then you can have some fun and change the regional settings to various languages, just to see what it would look like. However, if your software is localized to Chinese, then you will have to download the English version.

Offline AlanHK

Hello AlanHK,

Welcome to our forums.

Our software language is based on the regional settings, however, the software you downloaded, may be localized to Chinese.

Check your regional settings, and make sure that it is set to English (United States).  If your software is not localized, then you can have some fun and change the regional settings to various languages, just to see what it would look like. However, if your software is localized to Chinese, then you will have to download the English version.

Thanks.

My regional settings are English. There's an "EN" button in the taskbar, and everything else displays its menus in English.

I gave you the URLs of both the page it's linked from and the exact file I downloaded. So perhaps you can tell me what it is.

The Lenovo page says "Applicable countries and regions: Worldwide".
Not "China".
The setup info file (ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_software/pcd5setup_4329.txt) is English and makes no mention of any language. So is the installer itself deciding I want the Chinese version?

It took an hour to download the 39 MB file, then install it, and find it useless. I'd appreciate it if you could tell me either how to change it to English (though that seems not possible), or where to get the English version.

I realise that this is probably Lenovo's fault, but I think the possibility of getting anyone there to either answer or actually be helpful is close to zero.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 10:21:46 am by AlanHK »

Zhiro

Hello Again!

Okay, I downloaded the file and installed it. It is definitely your regional settings. Eventhough you may have EN on your taskbar, please do the following, and then start PC-Doctor.

1. Choose Start
2. Choose Control Panel
3. In Classic View choose "Regional and Language Options"
   Or in Category View choose "Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options", then "choose Regional and Language Options"
4. Choose Regional Options Tab
5. Under the section that says Standards and formats" click on the drop down box and choose English (United States). Under location, you can have any location you would like, as the "Standards and formats" section is what controls the language settings of PC-Doctor.
6. Now start PC-Doctor. (You will have to restart PC-Doctor for the settings to take place, it will not happen on the fly.)

Let me know if that fixes it. It should. And if it does work, please come back and visit and bring your friends too!  ;D

Offline AlanHK

Previously "Standards and formats" was "English (Australian)" and location was "Hong Kong". I changed both of those to America/US. PC Doctor is still Chinese.

I uninstalled PC-Doctor and reinstalled. Still Chinese.

I looked in its program folder.
In Configuration/config.xml:
Code: [Select]
<!-- Language Setting. --> <Argument name="pcdrinc.language" value="">
On a guess I changed that to value="English"
Now it works in English.

I must say the idea of forcing a language based on a setting the user cannot change without hacking an XML file is not a good idea. Often the person fixing a computer is not the same as the person who uses it on a daily basis. Even many Chinese technicians in Hong Kong are more familiar with an English interface than Chinese.

Sorry if this seems impolite. Looking on Lenovo's site I can find no way to communicate with them unless I pay them.

Offline louis

I'm glad you were able to change the language to English, successfully.

The entire list of supported languages is provided below. The value the XML file is looking for, however, is "en", so you will see English if you typed in "English"

The various supported languages are:
en English
fr French
it Italian
pt Portugese
de German
ja Japanese
es Spanish
nl Dutch
ko Korean
ru Russian
zh-tw Traditional Chinese
zh-cn Simplified Chinese

The XML file was not seen as being "hacking", as it is a text file, much like the ini files of Windows 3 and XP, and end user readable and editable. However I understand it would be easier for you if we had a language selection upon install or during runtime.

Zhiro

Hello Once Again AlanHK,

I'm glad to here you fixed your problem.  I do want to mention that I did download the file as well, and installed it.  When I installed it, it was completely in English. However, I did have to download off of the "HTTP (Useful if behind a firewall)" instead of the ftp option that you stated that you downloaded from. Perhaps they are two different files.

I'm sorry that I wasn't able to provide the actual solution. I can imagine your frustration, but at least I was able to point you in some kind of direction; and you are obviously intelligent enough to solve it from there.

Thanks for participating in our forums, and come back often. Share with us your thoughts and opinions because we do truly value them.

Take care!