Author Topic: Vista/Dell  (Read 14015 times)

Offline makahoward

In order to keep my laptop in contact with the internet without very long waits sometimes over 30 minutes to regain access after Hibernation, sleep, hyper sleep or laptop cover closing I have had to disable sleep, hyper sleep, and cover close action.

I would really like to put the PC to sleep, especially when closing the cover and hibernation would be nice also. Do any of you have advice? I'm NOT SURE WHAT HYPER SLEEP IS!

I HAVE FOUND THAT DISABLING THE WIRELESS CONNECTION AND RECONNECTING DOES WORK - SOMETIMES

I do not have this problem with XP PC's

Help anyone? :(
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:47:09 am by makahoward »
Waiting for Microsoft to get their act together - will it ever happen?  .

Offline PCD_Chris

• Art Director
  • Administrator
    • PC-Doctor, Inc.
Welcome to the forums makahoward...give these options a shot:

• Go to Properties on your Network Connection and click on Configure
  • Click on the Power Management tab
  • Uncheck "Allow this computer to turn of this device to save power"
  • Click Ok

This should allow you to stay connected when the laptop is hibernating/sleeping.  Let us all know how it turns out.

Thanks.
Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it. -- Salvador Dali ???

Find us on Facebook!
www.facebook.com/pcdoctorinc

Service Center Website: www.pcdservicecenter.com
Blog: www.pcdoctor-community.com/blog/

Offline makahoward

I tried your suggestion - no help but THANKS.  I should have mentioned that my internet connection is satellite - that may have something to do with it.  I have emailed Hughes to see what they know about this.  Dell is still helping by the way, except I haven't heard from them for a couple of days and I don't think thy have a solution yet

Offline PCD_Chris

• Art Director
  • Administrator
    • PC-Doctor, Inc.
Sorry that didn't work.  Have you tried disabling IPV6, I've read elsewhere that it might help resolve this issue.

Disabling IPv6 - Courtesy of http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg1005.mspx#ENAAC

Unlike Windows XP, IPv6 in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 cannot be uninstalled. To disable IPv6 on a specific connection, you can do the following:

In the Network Connections folder, obtain properties of the connection and clear the check box next to the Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6) component in the list under This connection uses the following items. This method disables IPv6 on your LAN interfaces and connections, but does not disable IPv6 on tunnel interfaces or the IPv6 loopback interface.

Find us on Facebook!

Offline PCD_Chris

• Art Director
  • Administrator
    • PC-Doctor, Inc.
After a bit more reading I have found that this is a very COMMON issue, go figure.

"But in the final version of Windows Vista, something is very, very majorly wrong. On 6 of the 8 tested systems, 3 recovering Windows Vista from a hibernate or Deep Sleep results in one of the following:"

• Failure to establish a network connection. Everything looks OK, but you can’t connect to the internet. Your LAN signal will be there, but the internet just doesn’t work. You must restart to fix it.

This information is courtesy of http://neosmart.net/blog/2006/vistas-hideous-wakeup-support/.

Does that sound familiar?

Microsoft has admitted that many of these issues are bugs, and that they're working on fixes.

The only other suggestion I have is searching for possible driver updates.  Keep us updated.

Good luck!

Find us on Facebook!

Offline makahoward

Thanks again.  I was told also that Microsoft was coming out with Service Pack 1 - "this summer" by a third part advocate.  If Dell comes up with a solution sooner I'll let you know.  I'll just keep the laptop awake till then!  I rarely take it out of the house anyway I can live with that for a few weeks I think.

Offline makahoward

Microsoft sent several automatic downloads for Vista Thursday and Friday.  Evidently they addressed my problem and after more than 24 hours internet connection and response has been fine.   Wireless printer still loses contact however.  It's too early to say if the internet problem fixed but it looks OK so far.  ???
I'll send a message in a few days after I am sure it is stable.  :-\

Offline PCD_Chris

• Art Director
  • Administrator
    • PC-Doctor, Inc.
Thanks for the update Makahoward!  Hopefully this can be helpful to others experiencing the same issue.

Find us on Facebook!

Offline makahoward

I have been receiving updates to Vista daily now for about 10 days and the contact with the internet is getting better.  It still takes a few minutes to get full access. 

For example, some times contact is restored for both local and internet quickly but the browsers can’t actually “find” URL’s for another few minutes.  Interestingly,  Apple’s Safari browser typically gets access quite awhile before either Internet Explorer or Firefox do.

Microsoft seems to be trying but they are not “there” yet.

Offline makahoward

I didn't notice your IPv6 message before today. 

I just did what you suggested.  Everything - including IE seems to be doing well (after only 1 reboot).

Unfortunately, at least for verification purposes, Microsoft installed 7 more updates when the shut down, restart took place.   

What is IPv6?

Offline PCD_Chris

• Art Director
  • Administrator
    • PC-Doctor, Inc.
Good information makahoward! Whether or not this fixed it, it does sound like things are getting better for you which is the important part. This also shows that thankfully, in your case, Dell was NOT the problem. Regarding your question about what IPv6 is?

Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is a network layer protocol for packet-switched internetworks. It is designated as the successor of IPv4, the current version of the Internet Protocol, for general use on the Internet. -- Wikipedia

I'm not a network guru by any means but apparently the issue is with the DNS servers, not your system. However, disabling it helps correct the problem.

Find us on Facebook!

Offline makahoward

I received an advance notice that Microsoft was releasing 2 updates on Aug 14 that address my internet response problems.  I was fortunate enough to be able to download them early and now for 2 days after installing them I have had excellent respose time (and initial connact time after reboot/hibernation)

2 days is not long enough to prove anything conclusively but things look encouraging.

Note - I am using satellite for online access - you may not have had the same problem.  I don't know if the updates were specific to satellite or were general in nature

Offline makahoward

{REVISED}
Time has passed.  Internet, including Internet Explorer, has improved noticeably.

I have not noticed any improvement in stability** and am still irritated by constantly having to give approval for Vista to perform functions I have just asked it to do.

**   A few days ago I lost all audio and had to have Dell fix it for me.  Today I lost the DVD/cd drive. Got it back by rebooting - that is stability?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 02:52:05 pm by makahoward »

Offline makahoward

Time has passed - Vista keeps improving noticably week to week.  Currently the most common problem is getting initial access to the internet after rebooting. Usually it takes several minutes but after getting access things usually work as well as on a PC using XP.