Author Topic: Network loopback dongle with Realtek Ethernet Controller  (Read 4681 times)

Offline Maria

My system is using Realtek RTL8111C Ethernet controller.  When I insert the loopback dongle in the Ethernet port, I don't get a valid LINK under Windows XP Pro.  The LINK LED turns off and Windows doesn’t recognize anything being connected to the Ethernet port, reports that “A Network Cable is Unplugged” even though the dongle is connected.  So I can't run the Network loopback test.

Any idea as to how I can get the test going.  Thanks.

Offline fwilson

Maria,

Most Gigabit Ethernet cards will not work with the loopback connector.  To perform the link and loopback test plug the card into a valid network.  By valid I mean one that has a DHCP server and a gateway.  The software will perform all needed tests in this environment.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline Maria

Fred,

Thanks for the reply.

>>> To perform the link and loopback test plug the card into a valid network.  By valid I mean one that has a DHCP server and a gateway.

I am a little confused to your command above. 
Does it mean that you don't use the loopback dongle, and just connect to a valid network, and run the network test?

Thanks,
Maria

Offline fwilson

Maria,

You are correct, don't use the dongle and just plug it into the network.  Put the loopback dongle back in the bag.

-Fred 
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts