Author Topic: PC-Doctor Toolbox in Windows 8: wrong warning?  (Read 14605 times)

Offline lotsawa

Hi,

I've upgraded to PC-Doctor Toolbox for Windows 8 on a Thinkpad X220 Tablet.

The Toolbox gives a constant warning in the "Performance" section that the defragmentation would be deactivated, although it is actually activated in Windows. This is annoying.

Any idea what to do?

Thanks and greetings,
Christof

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Sorry about that,

Unfortunately the issue with PC-Doctor Toolbox showing a false positive regarding defragmentation is a known issue.
We are currently working to resolve the issue and any resolution will be made available in a future release.
As a temporary fix however, I would recommend that you click the option to ignore the error.
Kris_PCD
Technical Support Representative
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline daf44

Besides the defragmentation warning, I also get a warning  that "Virtual memory is set well below the recommended value." In my case, the virtual memory is System Managed by Windows 8.

Also getting a warning in the Security box that "You currently have more than one firewall enabled." I only have one firewall active which is Bitdefender.

There are also duplicate entries for Bitdefender Anti-Virus, Bitdefender Antispyware and Bitdefender firewall in the Security detail. Using Bitdefender Windows 8 Security. Windows Action Center shows nothing like that.

I have set all warnings to "Ignore" but the Security box and the taskbar icon still show that there is an issue.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 01:17:40 pm by daf44 »

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
I can honestly say that I have yet to run into those other issues, but I will ask around and try to get back to you with more information.
Kris_PCD
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline daf44

Thank you!

To expand on the issue with duplicate Bitdefender Security entries, the 2 anti-virus and 2 firewall entries are all shown as enabled; the 2 antispyware entries are shown one enabled and one disabled.

The Windows Defender antivirus, antispyware and firewall are correctly displayed as disabled.

The worst annoyance right now is that I have set the Security warnings to Ignore but the warnings don't go away!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 01:54:35 pm by daf44 »

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Just a thought, have you checked in add/remove programs?
Is it possible you had installed the software over itself when you upgraded to Windows 8?
Kris_PCD
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline daf44

Here is the firewall status clip.

Offline daf44

No, this is a clean install of Windows 8 Pro. As I said before, Windows Action center shows everything OK.

Offline daf44

Here is the clip from Windows Action Center.

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
After some additional research I have some information that may help.

First, the issue you are experiencing appears to be another known issue(though not to me until just now), it is caused by our software recommending a larger amount of virtual memory than what Windows calls for. With this issue as well as the defragmentation issue we are working on it and should be resolved in a future release.

As to the issue regarding multiple firewalls and such, it seems likely to be caused by duplicate registry entries. If you feel comfortable checking your registry you are welcome to do so, however I cannot recommend that you do it on your own since changes in the registry can cause further issues or even damage to Windows.

So long story short, unfortunately I don't have a simple fix or answer to your issue. But please continue to let us know of any issues so that we can attempt to resolve them going forward.

Thanks for taking the time to give us more information on this.
Kris_PCD
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline daf44

Thank you!

How can I make the Ignore command stick for the Security warning? It is really annoying. Ignore did work for the Performance warning why isn't it working for the Security warning?

If I can get rid of the Security warning I'll be a happy camper!!!

What registry entries are you referring to?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 04:20:42 pm by daf44 »

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
I will look into the Ignore for Security, but as for the registry entries, I am referring to your security software Bitdefender.
If there are two entries it could be causing the issue with our software reporting it twice.
Kris_PCD
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline daf44

Thanks again!

I have looked into the registry and did not find any duplicate entries for Bitdefender.

Thinking outside the box:

The version of Bitdefender I have installed (Windows 8 Security) is supposed to be expressly designed for Windows 8 and not just compatible with Windows 8.

Could Bitdefender then be accounted twice, once for the Desktop and once for the Modern UI?

If so, it would still not explain why one antispyware entry is shown enabled and the other disabled.

Maybe your developers can come with an answer!

I look forward for the Security warning workaround! :)

Offline rwjustus

You indicate that this is a known issue.  What is the status?  When do you expect a resolution?

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Sorry for the wait on a response, been a busy week.  :)

I am aware of no timeline for the release of the next version of PC-Doctor Toolbox for Windows, however I will update this post when possible.

For the time being the best solution is just to ignore the error once you have confirmed there is no problem.
Kris_PCD
PC-Doctor, Inc.