Author Topic: Toolbox for Windows 8 will not save settings  (Read 8609 times)

Offline mwarren2

I have replaced HP Hardware Diagnostics on my laptop which I have upgraded to Win 8 with PC Doctor for Windows 8. I cannot get the settings to save to anything except the default. Any suggestion appreciated. Here is the error message:

Offline Colinf_PCD

I'm wondering if there is a problem with your Windows Task Scheduler as all these settings are doing is modifying the PCDoctorBackGroundMonitorTask Scheduled Task that we create upon install of the product.

Let try the following steps:

1. In the settings page, which is the page you took a screenshot of, go ahead and deselect the Enable Quick Hardware Scan and then click Save.
2. Select the Enable Quick Hardware Scan and click Save.
3. Try and modify the settings once more and then click the Save button.

If this does not work, I'd like you to open the Windows Task Scheduler.

A. In Windows 8 this can be accomplished in the Modern UI by moving the mouse cursor to the bottom of the screen and right clicking. 
1. Next click the All Apps button.
2. Under the Windows System choose Control Panel.
3. At the Windows Control Panel Click the System and Security Link.
4. Under the Administrative Tools category there will be a Schedule Tasks link, please click it.
5. Click on the Task Scheduler Library.

B. If you do not prefer the Modern UI, in the classic Windows Desktop view move your mouse cursor to the bottom left corner of the UI and hold it there until a small representation of the Modern UI is displayed and then Right Click on the Modern UI representation. 
1. A quick launch list will be presented to you.
2. Click the Computer Management link.
3. In the Computer Management click the Arrow to the left of the Task Scheduler to expand the tool.
4. Click on the Task Scheduler Library.

Once at the Task Scheduler Library confirm that there is a PCDoctorBackgroundMonitorTask.

1. If there is a task (and there should be,) you can double click on the task.
2. Next Click on the Triggers Tab.
3. Double Click on the Trigger (In your case in the trigger column which is the first to display, it should state Monthly)
4. Adjust the settings to your preference and click OK.

If there is no Task please let me know and I will help you through more troubleshooting of the issue.

Thanks,

Colin
Sleep is for people who can't handle coffee

Offline mwarren2

Thanks for the quick response Colin. Unfortunately your first fix did nothing. When I unchecked Enable Quick Hardware Scan and clicked save, the same settings and error message reappeared. Here is a screen shot of my Task Scheduler Library As you can see there is no listing for PC Doctor. What next? - Mike

Offline Colinf_PCD

Mike -

I'd like you to try an uninstall and reinstall of the product if you are willing.

For some reason the Scheduled Tasks did not get installed during your initial installation. 

If you are within your first 7 days of purchase and did not save the installer you can simply click the link from the email you received.  If you are past the 7 days and do not have a copy of the installer, please send me a private message with the name and email address you purchased the product under and we will get the links reset for you.

This should take care of it, however, if it doesn't let me know and we can try something else.

Regards,

Colin
Sleep is for people who can't handle coffee