Author Topic: License Agreement error message  (Read 14913 times)

Offline LL

I have a Lenovo T60 ThinkPad running Windows XP Professional.  Tried to open PC Doctor 5 for Windows (that came installed on the computer) and received error message: "This version of PC Doctor 5 for Windows is not licensed to run on th this system."
Don't have a clue why or how to fix it?
Thanks

Offline fwilson

LL,

Please go to the Lenovo website http://www.lenovo.com and download the latest PC-Doctor for your machine. That should fix you up.

If there has been any repair work done you may want to check the BIOS version and make sure you are running the most current BIOS available.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline peterssc

I have a compaq desktop sr1920nx. I replaced motherboard with factory unit, seems to be identical.  Tried to open PC Doctor 5 for Windows (that came installed on the computer) and received error message: "This version of PC Doctor 5 for Windows is not licensed to run on th this system."
Don't have a clue why or how to fix it?
Thanks
[/quote]

Offline fwilson

peterssc,

Please contact HP tech support and explain the issue.  There is a program that will "tattoo" the motherboard firmware and enable PCDR and other programs locked to the system to run.  They will be able to point you to the area to download it.

-Fred
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:10:06 am by fwilson »

Offline thartman

I, too have this "This version of PC Doctor 5 for Windows is not licensed to run on this system" error when attempting to run PC-Doctor for Windows. My machine is a HP Pavilion m7580m desktop which originally came with Windows XP Media Center Edition with SP2. My problems with the error occurred (my guess) after Windows Update upgraded XP to SP3. I posted my issues on the HP Support forums, and one of the replies came back as: "If its not a HP program then you will be waiting in vain I would check to see the manufacturers site first. It is not the computer manufacturers responsibility to ensure compatibility of any software other than what ships with the computer, and even then only with the version of the OS it ships with."

Any thoughts?

Offline fwilson

thartman,

There are no issues with SP3 and PC-Doctor.  There are hundreds of thousands of machines happily running PCDR and SP3.

You may have a corrupted file that is causing this you can try reinstalling from your recovery disks (just PCDR not the whole OS) or download the latest version from the HP support website.

While this is not an "HP" program HP licenses PC-Doctor for use on all their machines.  It is included, by HP, on most every machine they ship. I would think they will help you find the link on their website.

-Fred

Offline fwilson

thartman,

In re-reading your original post I noticed the statement:
"Which originally came with Windows XP Media Center Edition with SP2"

Are you still running HP supplied media center or did you put XP Pro on the system?

Have you changed the hard drive or motherboard?

What version BIOS are you running? 

-Fred

Offline thartman

The machine has Microsoft Windows Media Center edition with SP3 (v 5.1.2600, Build 2600), and the BIOS is Phoenix Technologies v3.10 with a date of 12/13/06. Processor, if that makes any difference, is an AMD Athlon 64 X 2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ running at 2.41 GHz. Motherboard and hard drive are what originally shipped with the system.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 07:01:59 pm by thartman »

Offline fwilson

thartman,

Any new antivirus software installed?  PCDR accesses the BIOS directly. This could have been interpreted as a virus or unauthorized action and been blocked. This would explain the license error message. 

The BIOS you are running appears to be the latest although the dates do not match with the one on the website.  You may want to download the latest and flash just to be sure.

We are also talking with HP on this, as we receive more info I will post it here.

-Fred

Offline thartman

I am running Norton Internet Security 2008, along with Windows Defender, both of which has allowed PCDR to run in the past. Although, checking the history in Defender yielded some interesting results (although turning off Defender still does not allow PCDR to run without causing the "unlicensed" error message):

Description:
This program has potentially unwanted behavior.

Advice:
Permit this detected item only if you trust the program or the software publisher.

Resources:
driver:
PCD5SRVC{8A863ACB-F5F6CC6A-05010003}

file:
C:\Program Files\PC-Doctor 5 for Windows\PCD5SRVC.pkms

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 03:20:16 am by thartman »

Offline fwilson

thartman,

Interesting, please check out Norton as well to see if any PC-Doctor files have been quarantined.  You could unplug from the net then disable Defender and Norton and see if it works then.  Reinstalling PCDR only from the recovery disks with Defender and Norton disabled could be worth a shot also.

-Fred 

Offline thartman

There are no PC-Doctor quarantined files according to my Nortons Internet Security. And uninstalling and re-installing PC-Doctor with both Nortons and Windows Defender disabled yields the same unlicensed error message. Could a recent Windows Update to the XP OS, Defender, or both be behind this strange PC-Doctor behavior?

Offline fwilson

thartman,

Anything is possible, it seems unlikely though.  We have numerous test machines that we update regularly to look for these kinds of issues. We have not seen this on any of them.

The only thing that comes to mind is something in the BIOS that pcdr looks for has changed, these builds are locked to the machines. You may want to try re-flashing the BIOS with the one available from the HP website.

-Fred