Author Topic: System Events in 7.9  (Read 2016 times)

Offline GraFowler

Dear James,
When I am testing a computer with Service Center 7.9  that has had a BSOD how will I locate the bad device driver in System Events in windows, will it show the culprit driver or cause. Question number 2 is if I can't boot a computer that is caused by a BSOD is this option available in the DOS version of PC Service Centre, if it is not how can I find the bad device driver if it won't boot.
I think this is a great addition in 7.9
Thanks
GraFowler

Offline James_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Hello Graham,

Answer to Q1:
The system events portion of Service Center will display a number of system and software alerts in chronological order.  Unfortunately Microsoft doesn't provide user friendly messages, so the error messages displayed will have to be researched.  Google searches are usually the best bet to start with.

The system crashes and application errors display just enough info that can be used to assist you in searching for the cause of the crash/error.  I have included a couple of examples below:

Example System Crash Error Code:
0x0000009f (0x00000004, 0x00000258, 0x83a61828, 0x00000000).
Doing a quick Google search of "error code 0x0000009f" came up with several links such as http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315249

Sample Application Error:
Faulting application MMLoadDrv.exe
Doing a Google search of "Faulting application MMLoadDrv.exe" came up with several links, at least one of them points to a video card vendor.

Answer to Q2:
No the option is not available in DOS at this time and I am unsure if it will be made available in a future release, but I will pass that on to the product managers for review. 

I am unable to answer questions outside the usage of our products, so all I can say about finding the bad device driver, which is causing the blue screen, is to Google the error message displayed during the blue screen.

Regards,
James_PCD

"May the dog of simplicity lift its leg on the lamp post of progress"