Author Topic: post code error 50 check the dual frequency in CMOS  (Read 4375 times)

Offline daluder

I have searched and searched and haven't found what to do with this error. 

PC starts fans spin and nothing else.  no beeps

I have reset the cmos and replaced the battery.

Still nothing.  I think it is a faulty MB but not sure what the error code above means (how to fix it).

I have been using pc service center for the past 3 months and love the product.  it has saved me lots of time repairing customers products but I am stuck on this one.

If it is a faulty motherboard can i replace a compaq sr1120nx motherboard with one from newegg.com or is it not a standard fit? 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Offline fwilson

Deluder,

Post code 50h in AMI BIOS is initializing USB. 
Try removing any USB devices attached or internal card readers.

If that does not work remove everything from the motherboard (all cards, disks etc.) then try again.  If you get beepcodes start replacing untill you find the offending device.

If this happened during a BIOS update you may be able to restore the system by placing a floppy with a good bios for this machine in the floppy drive, remove the battery and power, wait at least 1 minute then try to boot again.  Some systems will attempt to load the BIOS it finds in the floppy drive at this point.

If all of this fails it’s probably time to replace the board.  I believe a standard ATX board will fit but I would test the alignment of the external connectors and mounting screws with another motherboard you hopefully have lying around.

Good luck.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline daluder

is it an ami board?  i found 50 post code on compaq boards as being "check the dual frequency in CMOS".  the replacement part is hp 5187-5628 and costs close to $150. 

i took out all cards and internal usb connection and still no beep.  So my guess it that it is fried. 

it is worth fixing if i can buy a $50 board but not 150.  Not sure what to do. 

do you know what that error means?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Offline fwilson

Daluder,

AMI BIOS is what popped up in Google, I didn't do an extensive search though.

You should be able to put another brand of motherboard in it.  Just check the rear port block and the mounting screws against another motherboard and see if they line up.  If it looks the same, go for it.  You should be able to pick up a socket 478 motherboard at a good price.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts