Author Topic: PC doctor cannot detect memory failure  (Read 3236 times)

Offline JJregular

Hello, I have received several faulty memory sticks from customers. I run the quick test and extended pattern test on the memory and no faults were found. However when I use another tools "pccheck" and "memtest", the memory test on there will detect problems with the memory. One specific problem that i just recorded is that pccheck will detect a failure in a "progressive inversion" test. Memtest will also show an address fault. PC doctor's test shows a pass on the memory though.
Is there a reason why PC Doctor cannot detect these failures?

thank you,
John

Offline PCD_Channing

Hi John,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue. Can you please share with me how you are running the diagnostics? Are you running them on the memory sticks through Windows, the Bootable image, or in DOS? Once I have this information I can provide some additional information on what else we can look at in this scenario.

Thanks!

Offline JJregular

Hello Channing.
I am running the PC doctor through DOS. I've also tried service center 10. I've tried the quick memory test and extended advanced pattern test.

thank you,
John

Offline PCD_Channing

Hi John,

Thank you for the additional information. DOS is definitely the best way to go as far as testing the most memory possible since the footprint of the untestable memory is so small. So it is very peculiar that we are not detecting a failure. Out of curiosity, are all of the memory sticks exhibiting this behavior the same brand/type/size? Would it be possible to upload the logs from the failed tests as well as the successful tests so that I may look at the differences? If you do not want to upload them here, please feel free to attach them to an email to support@pc-doctor.com.

Thanks,
Channing

Offline JJregular

I'm currently testing the couple of DDR3 SO-DIMMs. I'll send you the test results as soon as I finish.

Offline JJregular

Here are test results for two memory that failed in memtest V4.20 but passed on PC doctor.
ADATA 4GB DDR3 1333MHz so-dimm. These are from the same batch so it is possible that it was a bad run of memory. But still weird that PC doctor is unable to detect problems with them.

SERVICE CENTER 4.0.6692.01 SYSTEM TEST LOG
================================================
SMBIOS Type 1 Serial: To be filled by O.E.M.
SMBIOS Type 2 Serial: To be filled by O.E.M.
SMBIOS Type 3 Serial: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Board Name:  ChiefRiver
This file was created 9/29/2015 at 02:18

Testing Started    10/19/2015 14:12:37

Memory Fault Test.......................PASSED 
Address Fault Test......................PASSED 
Random Pattern Test.....................PASSED 
Short Advanced Pattern Test.............PASSED 
Extended Advanced Pattern Test..........PASSED 

Testing Completed  10/19/2015 17:23:22

Testing Started    10/20/2015 09:27:02

Memory Fault Test.......................PASSED 
Address Fault Test......................PASSED 
Random Pattern Test.....................PASSED 
Short Advanced Pattern Test.............PASSED 
Extended Advanced Pattern Test..........PASSED 

Testing Completed  10/20/2015 12:37:41

Thank you,
John

Offline PCD_Channing

Hi John,

Thank you for the additional information. I have sent you a private message regarding this and how we'd like to proceed.

Thanks,
Channing

Offline madkat

I am actually having this same issue. both memtest86 and the Dell boot diagnostics detected a bad stick of ram with consistent errors but PC Doctor will not detect an error at all. I've run it multiple times and it passes every time but hasnt passed memtest even once and generally pulls about 225,000 errors during a single pass of memtest. The first few tests were done with 2x 2gb sticks in the system and the last was done with just the one bad 2gb stick. I have also adjusted the script settings in pc doctor to test 100% of free memory and am using the service center 10 off the bootable flash stick.