Author Topic: CPU 2 CPU Registers - Failed  (Read 3372 times)

Offline techie_mainer

Hi all!  I have a Lenovo M90 (model 5485A2U) that was having some errors locking up after you bring the computer out of standby (using Windows XP sp3), so I ran the PC-Doctor "Normal Test" and the only thing that failed was the CPU Registers test for CPU 2.  I ran it a few more times, and it seems like it fails as many times as it passes.  Can I get some more details about this failure?  Is CPU/motherboard replacement recommended?  This PC is less than a month old!?

We have had similar trouble with other Lenovo M90 PCs in the past, but usually driver updates (mainly the Chipset and BIOS updates) have resolved the issue.  This time, the updates didn't help, so I ran the PC-Doctor test and got this result.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Offline James_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Hello Techie_mainer,

Here is a brief description of the test being run:
The CPU registers are tested using default test patterns that simulate the processing of data. The test writes test patterns to various CPU registers. The contents of each register are then read and compared with the original pattern.If the data read is different than the data written,this test logs as Failed.

jbpcdr
James_PCD

"May the dog of simplicity lift its leg on the lamp post of progress"

Offline techie_mainer

Thank you for your prompt reply, jbpcdr!  I had seen that description in my intial web search, but it still left me wondering "does this mean I have a bad CPU?"

Offline colinc

• Administrator
I hate to muddy the waters by not directly answering whether or not it is a bad CPU, it could be, but I have seen the symptoms you describe on both laptops and desktops with faulty power supplies. A faulty PSU can cause voltage variances in CPU power, which can trigger intermittent diagnostic test failures, as well as system freezes. If you have a spare known-good PSU, I would try swapping it and rerunning the tests. If the results are the same, you can have a bit more confidence in the CPU being at fault.

To err is human... effective mayhem requires the root password.

Offline techie_mainer

Thanks colinc...I'll give that a try.  :)