Author Topic: HARD DRIVE FAILURE SMART BIOS  (Read 6157 times)

Offline scoobydoo_53820

I RAN PC DOCTOR FOR WINDOWS XP AND IT CAME UP WITH AN ERROR ON THE HARD DISK HD521-1W    WHAT EXACTLY DOES THIS MEAN AND WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO CORRECT AND FIX THIS PROBLEM. PLEASE HELP ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE THANK YOU...

Offline fwilson

scoobydoo_53820,

This error code refers to the SMART Self Test. This test performs low-level testing on SMART capable hard disk drives by checking for either predictive or imminent failures. The drive itself records this info during normal operation and the parameters are set by the drive manufacturer. PC-Doctor reads this info from the drive and reports the results.

It is a strong indicator that the hard drive is bad or will be going bad soon. You should back up the data as soon as possible.

There have been instances where PC-Doctor will report a false error in windows IF there are background processes that access the hard disk are running.  When the disk is accessed the test starts over and may never finish, PC-Doctor quits the test with an error. To eliminate this possibility run the DOS version of PC-Doctor, background processes are not a problem with the DOS version.
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts