Author Topic: laptop won't boot.  (Read 2437 times)

Offline dazed

My laptop just stopped working suddenly.  The screen went white and froze while making a beeping sound.  I eventually did a manual shut down using the power button.  Waited a few minutes and tried a cold boot.  The indicator lights come on, I can heard the drive and the fan runs for a few seconds before the entire computer shuts down again, and will eventually try to reboot.  The indicator lights go on and off, fan goes on and off, drives make noise but the screen remains black.  I didn't back up any files and fear the repair price will cost more than the computer itself.  I have an HP PAVILION ENTERTAINMENT 6000 series (DV6408NR/Turion)

Offline fwilson

dazed,

You could try removing all power for 20 minutes or so.  Unplug the AC adapter, remove the battery and let it sit.  From what you describe it is resetting during the POST process and very early at that since you do not see any video.  This is generally not good.  :(

This one sounds like a job for HP tech support.  Your laptop may have to do some traveling over the holidays.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline Symbonite

The files on the hard drive might still be there.  You can buy a IDE/2.5 IDE Converter that you can plug your HDD of your laptop into a normal tower computer.  If You cant find these adapters you can also send it to you local shop to back your info up (considering the problem isnt your hdd itself).  As for the Computer you will have to send it off if its under warranty...but make sure you get that info backed up before sending...