Author Topic: Where are the log files?  (Read 3603 times)

Offline chrmarker

Hi PC-doctor experts

I have used PC-doc for some time know and have not been able to find the log files. What often occours is that during a test the PC freezes/lockes up. I guess thats an indication of a hardware error, but i would like know what causes the lockup. Is PC-doctor not generating a logfile somewhere i can read after the PC has been rebootet?

My last case scenario:
The PC is reportet to freeze/lockup at random times with either black screen or weird lines on the screen and you have to shut down and turn on the PC to get it running again.

From windows I run Service-Center 6. Some time during the Video test the freeze with black screen occours and I have to shut down and turn on the PC again. The USB device flashed yellow fast and red slow, indication a warning. Can i find a logfile somewhere that tells me where the fault is?

Offline fwilson

chrmarker,

The logfile is saved to the ram drive by default, which doesn't do you much good when the system hangs and requires a hard boot.

In these situations change the logging to the USB Key,  This may be done at the first startup page where you choose the log drive.  It may tale a couple of passes, one to boot up and find what drive letter the USB key is assigned and another to put the log files there.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline chrmarker

Thankyou for the answer, but i do not understand.

Is the logfile also saved to RAM drive when I use Service Center 6 from windows?

I have tried what you said, but only on boot from CD mode am I able to find a menu where I can choose where to save the logfile, and USB is not an option. Drive C: is an option. It should to saves in C:\testlog.txt but logfile do not appear after a test?

How do I get a logfile to prove that theres an error on the motherboard when all that happenes is that the videocard test locksup/frezes and I have to reboot?

Is there not a way to setup service center 6 save a logfile on drive C or someplace else?

Offline fwilson

chrmarker,

In the Windows product the log is saved after the tests are done, there is no RAM drive involved.  On a system that locks up there is no way to retrieve the log.

In DOS you can save the log progress to a hard disk, USB key or even a floppy.  In order to use a hard drive a small FAT partition must be available, it is DOS we are working in.  When SC6 DOS starts up choose the drive and name you want to log to i.e. a:\logfile.txt. You may have to escape to DOS to look around and see what drive letters are assigned to what devices.

-Fred 

Offline chrmarker

Thank you for the answer. Let me see if I understand. SC6 is running in DOS mode when I Boot up from the SC6 CD or floppy? If I wish to save the logfile to hard disk in DOS mode I need must first create a FAT partition if the hard disk only has one NTFS partition?

The problem is that when I run the test from DOS, it dosnt lock up. Alle tests passes, so that dosnt help me.

Offline fwilson

chrmarker,

In DOS yes, a FAT partition or format is required on the media to save to the HD, USB or floppy disk.

In Windows unfortunately the log is stored in RAM and then you write it to disk after the tests complete.  It the system locks up the log is irretrievable.

You raise a good point; it would be handy to have an active logging, the ability to write to a log file after the completion of each test.  This would be painfully slow but in situations like yours a valuable tool.  I will raise the point for Service Center 7.  ???

The situation you describe, freezing on video tests in Windows but passing DOS tests, is indicative of a corrupt or incorrect video driver.  The DOS product tests the hardware directly, with no intervening drivers.  The Windows product tests the driver / hardware combination.

Try updating the video driver to a newer OEM version or a reference version for the card.  If it is already current you may have to uninstall and reinstall to fix corruption.

-Fred