Author Topic: Computer not working  (Read 2593 times)

Offline woodsdrums

Help!!!...I tried to turn on my PC and I get nothing....I switched electrical outlets and replaced the cord, and nothing; just dead silence...the LED light stays on but when I press the switch, it goes out....I put in a new power supply and connected it to the motherboard after removing the Pocket Media Drive, Optical disk, and HDD disk, and pushed the power switch again... the power supply LED light goes out again and everything is still dead --- fan(s) do not move...I looked at the "troubleshooting your power supply" info by Hp and basically performed all those steps short of replacing components...
All the repair shops I contacted said the connector on the power supply is proprietary to Hp...so they couldn't test it...that's why I bought a new one....but, I can check out the motherboard next...but, that means I'll need to start replacing parts (e.g.. the CPU, etc) one at a time and go by trial and error ...Any suggestions on how I remove the fan over the processor on the mother board? can't seem to find any Hp directions on how to do it... And,I can't seem to figure it out...All suggestions on any of this would be helpful...

Offline fwilson

woodsdrums,

This board is for assistance using the PC-Doctor suite of diagnostics software not general computer repair help.

All of that being said.  Remove all cards and components, Video card(s), RAM and anything else.  Apply power you should hear beep codes and the power light should stay on.

Replace the components one at a time to find the culprit.  Reseat anything that has a socket on it.

If none of these procedures work it is more likely that your motherboard is dead than the CPU.

-Fred 
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline woodsdrums

I took your advice and removed all the components and replaced them one by one...the one that caused the power LED light to go out was the 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9300 & TV Tuner graphic card, so I figured that was my problem...I took to a local computer repair shop to confirm and sure enough it was bad... the technician believed it had overheated...I will now order a new graphic board, install it,and I should be back in business...

Thanks for your help

Offline fwilson

woodsdrums,

I'm glad you found the problem.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts