Author Topic: Fail CD Test - Now What?  (Read 4996 times)

Offline Berfie

I have Compaq Presario with Microsoft XP Home Edition / SP2

HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM   GDR8162B
SONY CD-RW  CRX215E5

I am having problem with burning data or music on disc.  However, ripping or reading data is no problem.  When it is time to burn, the cd is not recognized.

I perform test on everything on the computer and everything pass except for 2 and that is regarding the drive and this is the codes appear:

CD523-1  & CD523-2

Does this mean my cd drive is no longer functional?  I did check the device manager on my computer and it states that the drives are working properly, yet the PC Doctor showed otherwise.  Any advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated - Thank You.

Offline fwilson

Berfie,

It is certainly possible for an Optical drive to be able to read properly but not write.  Usually there are 2 different lasers for these functions. 

The error codes you give refer to the linear and random seek tests. Have you run the write tests on the media you are using?

I say this because, with the behavior you describe, there is a good chance that the recordable media is not compatible with your burner.  If you have had success in the past burning CDs purchase some of the same media you had success with and try it again.  If it still fails contact HP support for a replacement optical drive or you local repair shop will be able to help you out.  They are not very expensive.  Good luck.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts