Author Topic: BIOS Halt Not Found  (Read 11351 times)

Offline kirkrich

I am getting the msg BIOS Halt Not Found when I boot with PC-Doctor offline/DOS 3.0, and run the CPU & Memory test. It shows 1 test passed (out of 27), a dos window has the BIOS Halt msg, and the program/machine freezes. I tried all the keys - esc, space, enter, etc., nothing worked except ctl-alt-del.

I have an HP a1250n with AMD 64 X2 3800 cores, purchased in Jan 2005.

I first ran all the tests in the Windows version, PC-Doctor 5.0 - all tests in all categories passed. Then I made a PC Dr boot cd and began running those tests. Though I didn't run all the tests in DOS mode, I ran several, including the max load test that ran for 5 mins. Everything ran good except the cpu and memory test. I ran it several times, same results. Strange how the windows tests run fine but the dos test has this issue.

I have never gone into the BIOS to make any changes.

I ran these tests because I began having problems with the machine freezing and having problems booting, usually after prolonged use (several hours). During boot, it would freeze at different places, most often on the Win Xp logo screen (black BG). I believe I have traced this down to an overheating problem. I have taken some measures to reduce the ambient temp in the room, last night vacuumed and cleaned (comp air) the fans, vents, heat sink, etc.

I then ran these tests and rebooted around a dozen times with no issues except the BIOS Halt msg.

I can't find any references to this BIOS Halt Not Found msg, and I'm surprised that it locks up the machine in DOS mode.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

AVERAGE is as close to the bottom as it is to the top...

Offline fwilson

kirkrich,

Sounds like you may have a bad CD. The BIOS Halt message is from a failed loading of DOS from the CD.  PC-Doctor isn't running yet as we haven't loaded DOS successfully.

Try making another CD with media you have had good luck with in the past and try again.

When you vacuum out your system pay special attention to the power supply, canned Air works good for chasing the dust bunnies out of there.  I say this because I have has similar problems to what you describe due to overheating power supplies.  Blow out the fan and power supply from the back where the power cord plugs in.

-Fred 
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline kirkrich

Thanks for the help Fred.

Just to clarify my understanding of this, I had run several of the other tests from the cd in the same session/boot, so at least part of DOS must have been loaded and working. Are you saying that the specific test (cpu & memory test), and thus the specific program related to that test, may be on a spot on the cd that has a blemish or otherwise unreadable?

Kirk

Offline fwilson

Kirkrich,

I apologize, I misunderstood.  I thought it would not boot at all (this is where I have seen this message most often.  :-[

The BIOS Halt Not Found message means something went very wrong and I suspect you may have an older DOS version that had some problems on AMD systems.  Let me know what version you have (hit F10 at the main menu) and I will look into it.

-Fred

Offline kirkrich

I went to HP's site and downloaded (sp26380) what they show as the current version - after comparing to what I already had, my version matched HP's. Here's the info...

DR-DOS = 7.03
Offline PC-Doctor =  ver 3.0.1378_06_2005

If it helps, I created a new cd and still got the same BIOS Halt Not Found issue. Here's a little more info that was on the screen;

Window Header = CPU/Coprocessor Test Categor 1/11

Upper portion of screen had a window overlaying the list of tests;
line 1 = AX, BX, CX, DX Patterns
line 2 = CPU Number 2 (APIC ID 01H)

Central portion of screen had a window/overlay;
line 1 = CPU Registers..................
line 2 = BIOS Halt Bot Found

Lower portion of screen you can see;
Pass 1 of 1 - test 1 of 26 - failed tests 0

Kirk

Offline fwilson

kirkrich,

This is a very old build, its from June of 2005. Let me run this up the chain and see why there is not newer code on the site.

-Fred

Offline kirkrich

Fred,

Any further info on this? Is there a newer version that is available to HP PC owners that have systems with this version of the software?

Kirk

Offline fwilson

kirkrich,

We provide a new build to HP every month, so there have been quite a few since 2005.  It is up to HP to make them available for each model on their website.

I am not at libety to send builds to OEM customers so I am waiting for a response to an email I sent out yesterday.

-Fred

Offline ds28760

The final link to this seems like a very lame answer. Not at liberty to send out a new version to OEM customers.!!!!??? The fact that this query has been click on as many times as it has been would indicate many people are having this same issue. The PC doctor that came with the computer is the one giving this bios not found error. It would seem as though that version might be compatible with the computer it came on.  But then too may be PC Doctor can't fix as much as we would like it to. There is a Bios up grade available on the HP Web site. Will that help?
I have had issues with this computer since I got it. the responses I got from HP were very little better than this one from PC doctor. It's been three months Fred, did you go out for dinner? Vacation maybe?  Are you still waiting for a reply to your email. Great answer.  But then, it's free isn't it.

Offline fwilson

ds28760,

To my knowledge you and I have never interacted, so your post puzzles me.

As I explained to kirkrich, your OEM provided this software and we cannot, under the terms of our contract with them, provide it directly to end users (you). Let me know if there are other ways I can help you, but updated versions are available only through your OEM.

-Fred