Author Topic: Test motherboard NIC with PC Doctor 7 DOS?  (Read 5162 times)

Offline jmp242

I'm not sure how to go about this test. The computer in question runs Linux, so I have to boot off of the USB stick to the DOS version of PC Doctor. I try and select the Intel LAN in the menus, I've put in the loopback plug, but I neither get a test, or an N/A. Instead, I get >>[.......]
Wich according to the manual means . . .?? what? Other tested items are
>>[      ]
blank.

Offline fwilson

jmp242,

The [.......] or dotted out tests mean that it is not installed and unavailable for testing.

What NIC card is in the system?

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline jmp242

It's a
Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5782 Gigabit Ethernet
onboard NIC on a Hewlett-Packard    HP d530 SFF(PB607AR)

Offline fwilson

jmp242,

That would explain why the Intel network card tests do not run, they are for Intel Network cards only.  Broadcom network cards are only supported in OEM builds, it's a licensing thing.  Sorry.

-Fred

Offline jmp242

So there's no way to install DOS drivers or something for the card? Would I be able to test this card if I installed a different HD with Windows on it? This is something of a letdown given thant broadcom onboard NICs are pretty common.

Offline fwilson

jmp242,

Yes, the Windows version will test the Broadcom NIC if the proper drivers are installed.

-Fred

Offline jmp242

Ok, I've put Windows XP SP3 on the computer, and run the network test. It worked ok until I tried to use the loopback adapter. I plugged it into the nic as directed, and still ended up with a cannot run error? It's not clear what it wants to run the test here...

Offline fwilson

jmp242,

Does the adapter show as configured properly in Device Manager?  Is the proper driver loaded?  Can you ping or surf the internet?

Either the blue loopback connector or being plugged into a valid TCP/IP Ethernet network should allow the loopback test to pass.  If neither one of these methods work then I would disable the onboard and try a different adapter.

-Fred