Author Topic: Registers And Interrupts Failed  (Read 8529 times)

Offline Blecher

I have a Toshiba Satellite that was not starting. I used PCD 7.5 and got a COM 1 Registers & Interrupts failure, along with a hard disk random verify failure and a COM 1 Internal Loopback failure.

I am not sure what the registers and interrupt failure means as far as hardware failure goes. Does this mean the motherboard is bad?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline fwilson

Blecher,

The COM1 registers and interups failure means the COM port is misconfigured or bad.  The system would continue to operate normally with a bad serial port. The hard disk verify error however, could cause the behavior you describe.

I would run a chkdsk /f to see if the hard drive can be repaired to get the system booting again.  Retest the hard drive and if failures persist replace it. 

Check the BIOS COM port settings to see if they are misconfigured and correct if necessary.  If the port still fails disable it so it does not use resources.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline Blecher

Fred,

Thank you for your response. What if the laptop doesn't have a serial port?  Could that be why there was an error, because the port was not there?

Offline fwilson

Blecher,

Yes, if it does not have a physical port and is turned on in BIOS that could cause it.  It is more likely that it is a bad or misconfigured modem, which is also a serial port device.  Depending on the type of modem it may never pass i.e. a Win Modem does not use IRQ and Base I/O addresses like a real modem or serial port does. It can not be tested under DOS only under windows after the driver has been loaded.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts