Author Topic: Windows and programs freezes  (Read 2618 times)

Offline benzhang

Hai, folks. recently i have a serious problem with my PC. some of the programs like Adobe reader 8, Windows live messanger, notepad(.txt files) and even file folder are not running well, when i double click them. My firefox 3 are apparently not running smoothly like before, and windows freezes sometimes. I restart my PC several times, and this does not solve the probelm since it just freezes. Same goes with ' shutting down'. Can anyone of you have an idea of wat's going on and how to solve it? What programs can i use to dagnostic all these probelm?Thanks a lot, everyone.

i try to clean up my hard disc, defragment it, even go for the error-checking, nothing seems to work...pls help, thanks

I am using window XP SP2, update was done regularly , since i am always on the line. I have Avast 4.8 Home EditioN, Vps version: updated on 29th Aug, Firefox 3.0.1.

These are some details

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: FUJITSU
System Model: LifeBook A Series
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1526MB RAM
Page File: 700MB used, 2186MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Additionally,here are some of the details that what have happened to my pc.

Scene 1:When i open a file(such as PDF, ms word.etc) in a folder, file couldn't be open(nothing happens even when i try several times), and then the folder could not be closed ("The folder is not responding").I closed the folder by using Ctrl-Alt-Del. I repeated again, and same things goes.

Scene2: I went off by attempting to restart my laptop. The windows freezes at "windows is shutting down...". I could only force it to turn off by pressing hard on the power button. (Nearly everytime i need to do this when the problem appeared as in scene 1)

Scene3: I start my pc, it looks normal, but same thing still occur, this time maybe i can't open Firefox, The next time is IE..and other program on my desktop and on the startup menu.( Not all, but some, different programs everytime)

P.S There is nothing wrong with all these programs before, but they are acting like this recently.

Offline fwilson

benzhang,

This is a little beyond the scope of a hardware diagnostics company but since you took the time to ask, I'll try to help.

It sounds as if you may have a virus, since you say this started happening recently.  Try a good virus checking software such as AVG they have a free version you can try out, Google "AVG free" for the link.  Scan for viruses, worms and root kits.

The likely causes of this behavior from a hardware perspective are heat and ram.  Make sure your CPU heat sink is firmly attached to the CPU and dust bunny free.  Try reseating the RAM chips and run a good memory test program to test.  I can only recommend PC-Doctor memory test but there are other ones out there for casual users, Google is your friend.

I hope this helps and good luck.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts