Author Topic: DVD/CD-RW Drive Not functioning :(  (Read 3600 times)

Offline zero_gylt

I have a Compaq Presario SR1215CL Desktop with a CD and DVD  drive that wont work, everytime I insert a any kind of disc it just display a blank disc on my computer. After Runing PC doctor 3 tests failed to pass and gave these codes; DV523-1, DV523-2, and DV523-3 all of this really sucks too seeingas I just got age of empires III for my b-day  :(

Offline fwilson

zero_gylt,

I'm sorry to hear about your optical drive, it appears as it has died.  Fortunately optical drives are not that expensive nor are they that difficult to replace.  If you are not comfortable doing it yourself either the manufacturer or any competent computer repair shop can get you back up and working in short order.
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline zero_gylt

Wow, is it really that bad? hmm not to sure how to go about this whole situation but thank you regardless for your advice  :)

Offline fwilson

zero_gylt,

Since your Presario is few years old it is not that surprising the optical drive is tired.  When I said inexpensive, you can pick up a DVD burner for 40 bucks or so.  Then you can burn DVDs as well as CDs (I think your model came with a combo DVD reader CD Burner).

Installation is pretty easy.  If you have a friend that is comfortable inside a PC, enlist his help.  If not it would be a minimum charge at a repair shop.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts