Author Topic: Strange Keyboard Behavior  (Read 3413 times)

Offline brianmjc

Hi,

New guy to the forum here. I've been using PC-Doctor Service Center 7.9 for a few months now, so far so good... except today.

My client has an Acer Aspire 5720 laptop which perpetually boots into Windows Repair (it keeps failing to fix Windows). It cannot be system restored (no points), so I need to run a full recovery from the recovery partition. As part of my protocol, I like to run PC-Doctor's tests before potentially wasting my client's time and money on a possibly failing hard disk or other component.

But when I boot into PC-Doctor (from DR-DOS, since Windows is shot), running some tests sometimes results in mismatched key commands. It'll work fine at first, and I've managed to run most tests so far, all passing (it's yet to complete the extended memory and long hard disk tests). But after some tests (1 and 5 so far, the quick tests and motherboard/video tests), even after returning to the main menu and reporting it's passed everything in green, pressing L does nothing (which should show the Log). When I pressed 3 (run the CPU test) after the first time this happened, it then showed the log?! Pressing PgUp beeps (e.g. it's at the top of the log already, which it normally does), yet pressing PgDn does not scroll down even though there is clearly more to the log. It's as if the program is running but the keyboard has gone haywire, and only after some tests are run. After I reboot, it works fine again for another one or two tests (which is how I've gotten more tests done).

Every test has passed so far, but I am wondering: is this a sign of keyboard (or other) issues not picked up in the testing, or is this a PC-Doctor bug? My client reported no issues with the keyboard when the laptop was working fine, nor did it malfunction in any way while I was briefly working with Windows Repair.

Offline James_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Hello Brian,

Strange issue indeed, I have not come across any keyboard issues during our testing on laptops.  We intermittently come across keyboard issues with desktop systems or wireless mouse and keyboards.  I suggest trying to use a USB keyboard on the test system, to see if the issues you are seeing are corrected.  If so, then this was most likely an issue with the manufacturer settings, not PC-Doctor.  If the issues still persist, I may need to request some additional information in order to attempt to troubleshoot the issue.
James_PCD

"May the dog of simplicity lift its leg on the lamp post of progress"

Offline brianmjc

James,

Wow, quick response. Funny, after rebooting with a USB keyboard in (Logitech MK120), both keyboards worked fine after two tests (quick tests and short hdd). However, both keyboards did not work at all after the long hdd test ran. I tried pressing L, and several number keys on both the USB and laptop keyboards from the main menu, no response. The cursor is blinking, so the screen hasn't frozen. And the USB flash drive is blinking red (the long hdd test failed, and frustratingly, I cannot see which test specifically failed now).

So yes, looks like the problem persists on this client's laptop. I've seen it work fine in DR-DOS on a few other computers, but not this one. I promised them a Monday afternoon return, so feel free to ask for the needed info asap; I'll pm you my email address in a bit in case you need it.

Offline James_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
I received your PM and have responded.  I know you are on a tight schedule with the system, so lets see what we can do before you have to get it back to the customer.

Does the hang happen only when a test fails?  You can test this by running and failing one of the interactive tests located in the interactive menu.
Is there a wireless mouse "connected" to the system?  If so, turn it off prior to booting into PC-Doctor.  I have personally come across an issue where moving a wireless mouse connected to the test system can cause the same behavior.
The tech support form would be helpful, but I am not sure you will be able to get it if the system locks up with each run.  To get the tech support form, follow the steps below:
Boot into DOS via the MUD
Select your save file location
Select R from the menu
Select the Utility menu, top right, next to quit
Select the tech support form and press F5 to run it.
Once complete, save the file.
Mail this file to support@pc-doctor.com attention to James and reference this forum post in the email. 

Thanks,
James_PCD

"May the dog of simplicity lift its leg on the lamp post of progress"

Offline brianmjc

Okay, let's see.

It does always occur right after a test completes, but no, it happens regardless of test success or failure. Out of four occurrences, the first three were successes, the last was a failure (the long hdd test).

As for a wireless mouse, yes, maybe that is the culprit. I'll remove the USB receiver and try a few quicker tests to see if it hangs and will get back to you later.

As for the help form, yeah that might be impossible since no keys respond after it goes haywire. Let's see about the wireless mouse though...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:29:12 am by brianmjc »