Author Topic: Help With mini PCI POST card  (Read 7953 times)

Offline Dead Bird 101

I just purchased the PC Doctor service center 8 premier kit. I have a laptop that is not giving me a display but it powers on. I am not sure what the problem is, so I want to use the mini PCI POST card to figure out what is wrong with the laptop. I am having trouble figuring out how to connect it. I tried connecting it to the mini PCIe slot (where the wirless card is connected) but I was not able to. Please, any help would be great.  I have included a link to the laptop I am working on.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/migueloetb/Computer%20Help/photo_zps52e57df7.jpg

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Unfortunately, from what I can see, it appears that the laptop you are trying to test only has a Mini PCI-e slot. If that is the case, then you will not be able to connect the Mini PCI card for testing. Unfortunately, due to inconsistencies in results of such cards, we do not offer a PCI-e or Mini PCI-e POST card at this time. I would suggest trying to connect the system to an external monitor, most laptops will have a VGA, DVI, or HDMI.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or issues.

Thanks,
Kris
Kris_PCD
Technical Support Representative
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline Dead Bird 101

Thanks for your reply Kris,

I really appreciate your response and the information you replied. I tried connecting an external monitor to the laptop with no luck. I do believe the GPU is dead or dying. If figured if the screen or inverter was bad, I would at lease get a signal to the external monitor. I believe the next thing to do is to replace the motherboard. I did have another question regarding the diagnostics CD. I want to test a desktop and run a full diagnostic test on it. but when I boot from the diagnostics CD and select to run a diagnostic test. It asks me for the multipurpose USB. I do have it inserted into the desktop, But the diagnostics CD says that I need to go into my BIOS and set up the USB devices to be the first one to boot. I believe my BIOS is too old to boot from USB (its an older desktop designed for windows XP) Please, I would love your help. Thank you

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
If the system is having trouble booting from and recognizing the Multipurpose USB Device, as an alternative you should be able to use the blue parallel dongle. You won't be able to save logs as quickly and easily as booting from the USB Device, but it should do the trick.

Let me know if you run into any other problems.
Kris_PCD
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline Dead Bird 101

Kris,

Thank you for your help, The blue parallel dongle did the trick. Thank you! I do have 2 more questions, Is it safe to say that the motherboard needs to be replaced on the laptop i was working on? and Is there a way I can make copy of the diagnostics CD so I don't have to carry the original and worry about scratching it up or getting it lost on accident?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:06:00 pm by Dead Bird 101 »

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
While I can't say for certain that the laptop you mentioned has a bad motherboard it does sound as if that is a possibility, at the very least it does sound as if the video card is not functioning properly.

As for your second question, making copies of the Diagnostics CD is permitted for backup purposes.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Kris
Kris_PCD
PC-Doctor, Inc.