Author Topic: Post code interpreting help  (Read 3275 times)

Offline computerhelps

Does anyone know how to interpret this post code for a phoneix 4 bios? The code is 50 - Display CPU type and speed. From my understanding of a POST tester, is that it pinpoints a specific failure point on the motherboard. The specific place where I am receiving a failure is Display CPU Type and Speed (Code 50 for a Phoneix Bios 4). Would this be a separate ROM chip than the ROM bios chip that I normally refer to as the Bios? Is this a correct interpretation? Or is the CPU bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 05:16:52 am by tony.w.denham »

Offline fwilson

tony.w.denham,

The POST codes displayed on the card show what procedure the BIOS is going through during POST (Power On Self Test).  It is not a separate chip it is the  BIOS driving this procedure. When a hang occurs, it shows what the BIOS was trying, and failed, to accomplish.

In your situation I would drop in another compatible CPU and retest.

-Fred
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 08:18:55 am by fwilson »
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline computerhelps

Thanks Fred. I ordered a processor and a motherboard just in case. I will post an update.

Tony

Offline fwilson

Tony,

Good deal, let us know how it works out.

-Fred

Offline computerhelps

Computer is up and running again. However, I do not know if the problem was caused by the CPU or something on the system board, because the CPU came pre-installed and I did not want to void the warranty by breaking the seal to test it on the old board. I did not realize the CPU was pre-installed when I ordered the combo package, if I knew beforehand, I would have ordered them separately, then the issue could have been pinpointed. Oh well, I will remember this for next time.

Tony

Offline fwilson

Tony,

At least it's working now.  Thanks for the feedback.

-Fred