Author Topic: Bad sector limit  (Read 6374 times)

Offline pbh70

PC-Dr only reports a maximum of 10 bad sectors. How do I change that to report all bad sectors, if there are more than 10?

Peter

Offline fwilson

pbh70,

The log file will record all bad sectors, it does not have a limit of 10 like the display does.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline pbh70

I am running off the CD. Do I need to install in order to get the log file you refer to?

I learned I can edit the pcdrharddrive.p5i file and create a CD with the edited file to get a report of all bad sectors, so it's working for me that way.

P

Offline fwilson

pbh70,

So you are running the windows version from CD?  I was under the impression you were running the DOS build, I don't know where I got that impression.

Please install the windows build to the system, you can uninstall after you are done.

Also, what type of system arte you running this on and what is the build number?

-Fred

Offline pbh70

I'm running Service Center 6, build 4674.01 on a set of laptops running Windows XP.

Yes, I am running the windows version from CD.

P

Offline fwilson

pbh70,

Thanks.

I believe the problem is caused by PCDR being run from a read only device.  Since it can not save the log to it's native drive it is ignoring the p5i setting. The P5i setting should allow you to set the log file to whatever size.

Please try installing SC6 to the HD and let me know the results. If the HD is too far gone a USB drive could be used, but it will be much slower. 

You should also try to boot from the USB key into the DOS version and test the disks in DOS.

Either way 10 bad sectors indicates this drive is ready to go to the big depot in the sky.

-Fred
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 01:19:50 pm by fwilson »