Author Topic: USB security key  (Read 2495 times)

Offline NHCLC

I just received Service Center 6 and during a dos boot from both the cd and the usb device I get an error about the security device not being present. It works fine in windows but not in dos which was primarily what I bought it for. I have the latest bios for the PC and have tryed all the bios setting availible. I also reloaded it from the cd. Any ideas?

Offline fwilson

NHCLC,

The security device or MUD (multipurpose USB device) refered to is the USB device with the card attached.

If you can boot from it, it should lock fine.  Try setting the USB device as the 1st bootable device in bios and reboot to it, to make sure you are booting from it remove the CD from the optical unit.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline NHCLC

I've done that already. I set it to boot from a usb floppy drive and it identifies the usb device in post as a usb test key but still errors out with no locking device detected.

Offline fwilson

NHCLC,

If I understand you correctly the system is booting from the USB key but then can not lock?

The system BIOS is set to boot from a USB floppy?

That could be the issue the MUD does not emulate a floppy.  If the BIOS is not set to boot from a USB Key, PCDR may not have access to the locking system.

There are a percentage of machines that will not lock to the MUD in DOS.  This is because the BIOS does not fully enable the USB subsystem and relies on the Windows drivers to do so.

If you are unsuccessful we do have another option.  Service center for legacy systems, it is a CD that does not rely on the USB key for locking, it uses the distribution media.

Please send me a PM with your phone number and we will get you fixed up one way or another.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts