Author Topic: Hard drive test stalls and battery freezes  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Grapeape

IBM Thinkpad R-52 1847-46U: Vista Premium SP1: 2GB RAM

Hi, I just replaced my original 40 GB HDD with a new 120GB Fujitsu MHV2120AH  (avoiding "Error 2010" ;D), installed Vista (updated to SP1), installed all IBM/Lenovo drivers, software and updates and machine seems to be running fine.

Then purchased a new battery: after installing the new battery my machine will freeze when booting, I can log on but as soon as I move the mouse, after the desktop appears, the screen freezes (both mouse and keyboard fail to respond). This occurs when booting via the new battery only and AC+new battery. (but not AC only or with my old, but still serviceable, battery, or AC+old battery).

I discontinued use of the new battery and ran PC Doctor 5. Everything was fine except the HDD test. It begins to run the test but when it gets to the "SMART Short Test" (SST) it completes 19% then goes no further? The screen says it will take approx. 2 minutes to complete but after 10 or 15 minutes with the SST still reading 19% complete I resort to closing PC Doctor.

After numerous attempts I did get it to finish the HDD test a couple times and it "passes" but more often than not the SST will hang at 19% complete mark.

I was able to get the new battery to work once, charged to 100% and ran the PC Doctor battery test which it passed. (Although every time since then it has caused a freeze.)

I reinstalled my old 40GB drive and it zips through the SST. I put the 120GB in an external case and tested it with PC Doctor and it passes every time but when testing an external USB drive it doesn't run the SMART Short Test.

Does the uncomplete SMART Short Test signify anything? Or should I only worry if it completes the test and the HDD gets "fail" on the report? 

Offline fwilson

Grapeape,

The SMART tests are timing sensitive.  When we design them they are tested and configured for the OEM drives.  The 120GB drive you installed probably takes longer to do the SMART test or responds differently then the OEM 40GB.

You should look on the IBM site and see if there is a newer PC-Doctor DOS and Windows test for your system.  That may solve the issue but I can’t guarantee it will.  Once you put different hardware in mileage may vary.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts