Author Topic: Inspiron 1520 Black Screen on logging :(  (Read 4356 times)

Offline phil_UAE

Hey,
I have had a Dell Inspiron for about 6 months, one day I logged in and the screen was completely black, I couldn't see any icons and the start bar.
Please help =)

Phil :)

Offline fwilson

Phil,

I have had this happen after updates, especially if you are using a firewall. 
Try starting up in safe mode with networking (F8 on boot).  Then shut down and restart normally.  This is usually enough to get you going again.

You may also be in a screen resolution not supported by your monitor, try logging in as administrator (a different profile).

Your graphics card driver may be sideways, after you log in is when it takes affect.  The windows splash screen is low res VGA mode. 

-Fred 

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline phil_UAE

Hey,
I went on safe mode with networking, and I logged in all the icons and everything was there. =)
But I shut down and restarted and the Icons weren't there, but the only thing is I am the Administrator =S.

Offline fwilson

phil_UAE,

Try creating another user in safe mode, add that user to the administrators group then reboot and login as that new user.  If you can do this it is most likely a bad resolution or refresh rate setting on your main user account.  If you can not see the desktop as the new user it's probably a borked video driver.

-Fred

Offline phil_UAE

Is their a good Video Driver I should use?
My Video Driver is definatley messed up =(

Offline fwilson

Phil,

I would go to the Dell website and download the latest for your machine and install it. If it is not obvious where to get it on the site I would also call Dell support and have them walk you through it.

-Fred

Offline phil_UAE

Hey,

I am really so sorry to keep bothering you, I just don't want to mess up my computer.
But I got some links on Video drivers ( at least i think).

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1520&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=
In the video section should I pick the third one as I have intel.

Thanks Phil. =)

Offline fwilson

Phil,

Yes, if you indeed have a Intel GM965 built in Video.

If you are aprehensive about doing this, get Dell support on the phone and have them walk you through it.  That's what their there for.  ;)

-Fred