Author Topic: fixing a bad uninstall  (Read 2641 times)

Offline Ifftgang

PC Doctor was accidentally removed from my computer but the unistall was not completed.  PC Doctor does not show up in the add/remove programs anymore, but file folder in program files is still there.  program won't run though and i cannot find an uninstall file in the program files folder.  Now I cant completely uninstall and can't reinstall.  Do you have an uninstall tool or file I can use to remove completly so I can reinstall properly?

Offline fwilson

Ifftgang,

In this situation please rename the existing program directory so it is not recognized by the install process.  Then re-install.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline Ifftgang

Fred,

I already tried this, but it is apparently nothing in the program files folder that is causing the reinstall to hang up, it must be something in the registry.  Do you guys have an uninstall.exe that I can use to try and remove the old install completely?

thanks

Alan

Offline fwilson

Ifftgang,

What version were you running?

What is the make and model of your computer system?

The reason I ask is that the location and registry entry varies from OEM to OEM.  If I know the version and type of machine I can be more specific.  I would hesitate to provide an uninstall without the above information.

In general the PC-Doctor main registry entries are located at:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC-Doctor

The install process looks at this entry and if the specified path under the ProgRoot key does not exist it creates the directory and installs the product.

This is unless it is an older “special” OEM product, which is why I asked for your computer type and PC-Doctor version number.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts