Author Topic: PCI Post Card tool  (Read 2040 times)

Offline jmague20

I need some help?? I have 2 issues and questions regarding the both of them

I just received my PC-Doctor Service Center 7.5 kit and im attempting to use te PCI post card tool on a custom made PC that i have that shuts down and restarts on its own. When i insert the PCI post card in the PCI slot in the computer and attempt to turn on the PC it doesn't power up but once i take out the PCI post card tool out of the PCI slot and hit power the computer turns on. What could be the problem?

I wanted to also know when i do a burn in test to stress the computer the computer shuts down after just about a minute during the testing so how do i diagnose what the cause is of the shutdown because the burn in test is causing the computer to shut down but where do i go to see what the actual cause is because the computer restarts.

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

Offline fwilson

jmague20,

Shutting down after a minute or two of on time can be difficult to diagnose with software or POST Cards.  When the system resets there is not enough time to write or capture logs.

It is most likely one of two things.  A bad or under powered Power Supply or a thermal issue.

On the POST Card,  You may have to change the jumpers on the POST Card for that PC. The instructions on how to do that are on the packaging.

To fix the problem Make sure the CPU heatsink is properly attached and the thermal compound is evenly spread.  If you have a spare power supply use it in place of the existing one. If not then disconnect the hard drive and any other high current Parts and see if the problem goes away.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts