Author Topic: Burn In Test - 24/48/72 hr  (Read 2403 times)

Offline michaeldc

Hi, I am wanting to run 24hr burn in tests (among others) but I am having some serious trouble using PC Doctor for this. I understand how to create my own scripts so that when I load in the burnin.xml I can amend it and run it but... the options are severely limited.

It seems I have two options, either run the test for 4 hours OR (not and) choose how many passes (is that right?) - now, depending on which PC I am testing, the time it takes to run will change so I can't simply say, 50 passes each time to make sure it gets to 24 hours - in fact (and I may be wrong) there is a limit to how many passes it can make and considering the burn in test on my current PC takes only 5 minutes to complete, it would need hundreds of passes to get to 24 hours.

I just don't see a way of creating a burn in test that will reliably run for at least 24 hrs (we can always turn it off ourselves after 24 hrs using PC Doctor and that seems like a huge oversight in this software - please tell me I am wrong as this is absolutely vital and I don't want to have to use another program.

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Hello michaeldc,

I apologize for any confusion about the capabilities of our software, but I would like to clarify a couple of things:
  • If the existing burn in script is taking only 5 minutes on your computer then either the parameters of the test have been changed, or we will need to take a close look at your system to determine why a script that is supposed to take a minimum of 15 minutes is finishing in a third of the time.
  • (This also ties in to 1.) I believe that you have misunderstood the purpose of the Minimum Time Per Test setting, this setting will force each of the tests in a script to continue running until the minimum time has been reached. Not the total time for testing. If you were to set the minimum time per test to 4 hours and run just the CPU tests, each one would take 4 hours to complete before the test registers as passing or failing.

If you would like to stress test the system for 24 hours, I would recommend adding some additional tests and setting the minimum time to 4 hours. For the majority of systems, that should take 20-36 hours. Please let me know if you have any other questions or issues.

Thanks,
Kris
Kris_PCD
Technical Support Representative
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline michaeldc

Thank you Kris, that was very helpful :)