Author Topic: need some help please!!!  (Read 2740 times)

Offline staplesguy

as you can see by my user name, I work for Staples. I use Mr. Blip's PC Doctor all the time and I love the kit. Factastic and wonderful. But I've come across some problems, and I need some help. I ran a test on a customer's HP computer, the mother board test to be exact. It failed two tests of it, the first was "CMOS RAM Failure" the second was "VESA full video memory test." The CMOS RAM failure sounds like a possable dead CMOS battery. But I cannot find an answer to teh VESA failure, any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Sorry to make you wait for a response, been a busy day here.   :)

My first thought was that both of those tests failing at the same time could be caused by your motherboard starting to fail (especially if the system has an on-board video card). That may be jumping to conclusions however, as both of these failures can be caused by multiple different issues.

The CMOS RAM test writes data to the CMOS RAM and then tests it to ensure that the information matches. If this system is attempting to write to a section of the memory that is read only then the test will fail even if the CMOS RAM is still good.

With the VESA Full Video Memory test, tests the video memory by writing a portion of data and reading it back. This can fail if the video RAM, video card or motherboard are failing. If the video card is built-in I would make sure that the RAM isn't having any issues also (most on-board video cards borrow from the system memory).
Kris_PCD
Technical Support Representative
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline staplesguy

okay... so should I re-run the tests and pull out the ram? Or even try new ram? Update BIOS too? any other ideas?

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
I would definitely recommend running the tests a few more times, keep an eye out for any differences in the failure results. Checking the RAM shouldn't hurt, but be careful when updating the BIOS.

If possible, I would appreciate any additional information you can provide about the system (e.g. System specs, full test results). That may allow me to better understand what you are seeing and offer the appropriate suggestions.

Thank you,
Kris_PCD
Technical Support Representative
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline 01Tech

• 01TECH
If you replace the CR2032 3v Lithium battery, you will wipe your BIOS settings.  Make sure you take note of anything that is set other than default and replace the battery.  You should have that model right in the battery section at Staples.
“The opinion of the world does not affect me. I have placed as the real values in my life what follows when I am dead.”

~Nikola Tesla